Chapter 14 - Unjustified Promise

Chapter 14: Unjustified Promise

Lucius shook Dominic’s hand firmly, smiling lightly behind his scarf. “Yes, I knew your father quite well,” he said, “Nigel; he was quite an intelligent man, the youngest on our armada in fact.” The image of Nigel’s face appeared in Lucius’ head. “He married eldest. He was only 20 in 2009 when we left on our armada; He waited to marry until his 30s, because he knew if he was harmed in the armada, he would never see his spouse again. I remember her name and face well…”

“You knew my mother as well?” Dominic asked, “I never met my mother--just once. She passed away shortly after my birth.”

“Your mother, Elizabeth…” Lucius said, beginning to reminisce, “She lived a fine but difficult life. If it weren’t for her and her sister Miriam, We would have not lived to see this day.”

“My aunt Miriam, I never met her, but I’ve heard stories,” Dominic said. “They were both involved in the reclamation of this world, right?”

“Yes,” Lucius confirmed, “Nigel and I were closely connected in our research. My partner Alfredo, who in technicality should be your uncle as Miriam is your aunt…”

“I’m aware of the story, my lord,” Dominic said, “Nigel and Elizabeth were forced to marry, as were Miriam and Alfredo. If they hadn’t, then life would have ended.”

***

His name was Alfredo Ramirez…Age 27. His occupation…Astronaut. My name, Lucius Lorenz. Age 45. Astronomer. Nigel Arakawa…Age 23…Servant to the British Emperor, and professor of human emotion. Elizabeth Lyric…Age 21…Secretary of State. Miriam Lyric…Age 25…Elementary School Teacher.

These were the five men and women on our armada. We left on December 18th, 2009 to set foot on the planet Mars. NASA had finally developed the technology for human life to survive there. A studious astronomer, I was quick to apply for the launch. My partner Alfredo was the one who told me about the new technology. Nigel was ordered to board the armada by the British Emperor himself. The Lyric sisters both wanted to do something that was unexpected of them, and that was their choice.

One and a half Earth-years later, we finally arrived on the orbit of Mars. After setting foot on that world, we had completed our mission. We removed the Lunar Lander that was placed before, replaced it with the American flag, and then we boarded the ship back to Earth.

When we arrived in the Earth’s orbit, something immediately felt off.

“What day is it?” I asked my partner Alfredo. He was lying on a bed munching on a back of ice cream.

“Hell if I know,” was his response. “We’ve been flying up here for about three years.”

I nodded in affirmation and proceeded to check on a rock that I had picked up off the surface of Mars. It was an ordinary red stone, classified for the planet of Mars. It was still in good shape. I removed the rock from the glass case I had placed it in as we entered the earth’s orbit, passing by the moon.

“You treat that rock like a baby,” Alfredo told me, shaking his head. I ignored is cocky remark as we prepared to land at NASA Headquarters. It was at that moment that I was tipped off to the date.

December 21st. 2012. Doomsday, as the Mayans had predicted it, had arrived. Fortunately, we

weren’t around to see it. We had only arrived at the moment its aftermath was being made apparent.

Alfredo!” Lucius Lorenz had called when he exited the spacecraft Apollo XVII, “What in God’s name happened here?”

“Doomsday,” Alfredo replied. “Honestly, what did you expect? The world was falling apart already since the new millennium. I’m not surprised at all honestly.” Lucius panicked.