Chapter 21 - Voice in the Girl's Heart

Chapter 21: Voice in the Girl’s Heart

Lucius Lorenz’ long violet hair swayed from side to side as he shook his head with disgust. Desiree. Nikolai and Dante stood before him. While the men were on their knees, Desiree stood with her hands in the pockets of her torn red jeans. She had an arrogant frown on her face.

“I’m ready,” Lucius said, “The treachery of the Dark Riot ends here.”

“Why?” Desiree asked, “I thought you were against war.”

“War?” Lucius replied, “This is not war. This is justice.”

“You’re delusional,” Desiree said, “You don’t know the meaning of justice.”

“Desiree,” Dante said, attempting to stop her, “Leave it be...”

“He who wishes to defy my judgment is better off astray,” Lucius said calmly, “You are dismissed.” Desiree scoffed at Lucius’ response, then grabbed Dante’s arm. The two left the dark room that Lucius was briefing them in, leaving Nikolai and Lucius alone.

“As for you,” Lucius said, “Your job will be to observe the Dark Riot’s actions. They’re growing quite loud as we continue to standby.”

“Understood, my Lord,” Nikolai’s Russian accent reverberated in his voice. He bowed before he left the room as well.

“All in due time…” Lucius said ominously.

---

Ayashige bobbed his head out of the water as he and Kiri surfaced on the opposite side of Marrow Pass. Lyric and Shima followed soon after, gasping for breath. “Is that it?” Ayashige asked, “Did we win?”

“I-I think so!” Kiri exclaimed, “I can see Malway and Alvira in the distance… We’re closer to Alvira right now…” She crawled onto a rock near the shore, allowing her to jump safely to the surface. Ayashige and the others followed her shortly after.

“It doesn’t matter,” Ayashige replied, “We’re free now. We can go wherever we want.”

“I know,” Kiri said, “But I think there’s still someplace I need to go before I can consider myself a free woman…”

“Hey,” Shima said, patting Kiri’s shoulder firmly, “Need any help?”

“I’ll be fine,” Kiri said, though she didn’t sound entirely sure. “I know where he’ll be…If he still wants to see me.”

“Your host, I assume?” Shima asked, “Don’t worry about it. If he’s worth it, he’ll forgive you.”

Clouds had begun to roll into the sky above the newly created Lake Marrow. A soft drizzle pelted the ground at Kiri’s feet. She frowned at the rain, remembering Arashi, as well as what Dante had told him about her past. If I could just have one chance to explain all of this to him, she told herself, Everything would be okay…

---

Kiri looked blankly at the trees in front of her. Her dress was ruined. Even her shorts beneath it had been torn to shreds. I’ve wandered this forest alone for the last fifteen years; she said in her mind, Will I ever find a home? A soft drizzle pelted the ground and trees. The sound of the rainforest echoed.

All of these animals are programs like me, Kiri thought. Each one of them was created by Li-3 to preserve a human image. This rainforest is just an illusion created by the Cyber World. Every tree, from the bark on its stump to the leaves on its branches; all of it is fake. It is all formed from data, like me…