Chapter 2 Wishes

On the day of Lilith's birthday her father made her toast, eggs and bacon, or at least he 'said' he did. Lilith knew her father had never touched a single frying pan in his life and if he 'had' made breakfast, it would probably taste utterly horrible which it didn't. Besides cooking didn't kill monsters now did it? Lilith suspected her father had asked Marian to cook it, the hunter's only cook, a friendly plump woman who used to be good friends with Lilith's mother.

Lilith had put on her plain black shirt and black pants, the uniform her father had given her which used to belong to her mother. All the hunters wore black mostly so they could blend in with the night when they were hunting but Isabelle didn't mind wearing the same outfit as everyone else. Besides black was her second favorite color, Dark gray being her first.

When she emerged from her room after breakfast and getting dressed, her father was waiting for her in the hall.

"You look beautiful, babe," he said when he saw her. "Just like your mum."

Lilith blushed. She'd put her brunette hair up in a messy bun though she usually left it down most of the time. Her hair was naturally wavy, a pretty dark brown which matched her blue eyes. Her father had light green eyes with brown hair as well. She had got her eye color from her mother and her hair color from her dad.

"Thanks, Dad," she said, standing on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "So, when are we going hunting?" Her father smiled warmly.

"After your party of course," he replied. Lilith recalled when a boy or girl came of age to become a hunter, all the hunters threw a party to celebrate the newest hunter in their group. It was like a sweet sixteen but different.

"Oh," Lilith murmured trying not to sound disappointed at his answer. She should've remembered about the celebration but she really wanted to go hunting, finally after years of waiting. "Hey you'll get to meet all your new teammates," her father said reassuringly as if he could sense her disappointment. "It'll be fun, come on."

Lilith reluctantly followed him down the hall, past the kitchen into the main room. The main room was what the hunters called the room where they had a bunch of hunting equipment; mostly motion detectors that they'd put up in the woods to detect and find any roaming inhuman creatures. They also had a monitor  room where they could track the werewolves or vampires' movements. The hunters were very serious when hunting as she could tell. Most hunters took turns observing the supernaturals' movements in the monitor room or putting up traps out In the woods. Lilith didn't know why they even bothered still putting up traps in the woods when all they caught in them were small forest critters. Vampires were awfully fast and could easily avoid hunting maneuvers while werewolves were strong and savage. Both were almost impossible to trap or even kill. What every hunter dreaded when on a hunt was a bite from one of those demons, that's why all the hunters had to stick together on a hunt.

The training room where To-Be's did their training, was just beyond the main room. To-Be's were young hunters in training before they turned sixteen like her and finally went out to hunt.

Lilith had discovered when she walked in that all the hunters in camp had gathered in the main room to welcome her and congratulate her for becoming a hunter. Her friend whom used to tease her about becoming a hunter before her, was the first to greet her.

"Hey, Lil," he said with a friendly smile. "Happy Birthday!"

Lilith flung her arms around his neck in excitement. "Thanks, Brian," she said tightening her grip.