Chapter 12- Damaged

Gabrielle.

The nearest subway was about 15 minutes away from my moms house. Once we both got our subs, we sat at a table in the corner of the shop.

Today, my father wore grey pants and a navy blue crewneck sweater with a pair of black and grey slip on shoes. It was new seeing him wearing something that wasn't purely business attire.

"So, I brought something to give you." He says, pausing to slide something out of his black jacket.

After placing a small rectangular box on the table he glances at me with a nod, as if telling me to open it.

I slide the top off, revealing a gold necklace with a crescent moon adorning it as well as a diamond resting in the center

"It was my mothers." He tells me, interrupting my moment of awe.

"Wow, thank you. That really means a lot to me." I say, a small smile plastered on my face as my mind dabbled over whether or not I should truly accept this token of importance.

"Let me put it on you." He rises from his seat and I lift my hair out of the way, allowing him to clasp it around my neck.

"It's beautiful." I place a hand on the jewel with a smile and tilt my head.

"She would've wanted you to have it." He says, and before I could respond his phone blares out in the pocket of his jacket.

After briefly looking at his cell, he denies the call and switches the phone to 'vibrate' mode.

"You could've taken it, I don't mind." I say, unwrapping my sandwich and taking a bite.

"It wasn't important." He replies, also biting into his sandwich. "I haven't had subway in so long." He chuckles, wiping the corners of his mouth with a napkin.

"It's my favorite place to go. And I'm not going to get into it, but being here right now signifies something for me." I smirk, taking another bite of my Spicy Italian sub.

"It was once my favorite, before I realized how silently regal my life actually is." He says, with a shrug.

"Well I'll tell you one thing, I'd never trade Subway or even Panda Express for any fancy, five-star restaurant. Fast food is like comfort food, well not as comforting as my moms cooking." I say the last part more to myself until the buzzing sound of his phone halts the process of any oncoming thoughts.

He slides his phone back out and sighs deeply.

"This one, I'll have to take." He frowns a little and excuses himself from the table, before walking a short distance away to accept his phone call.

My own phone buzzed briefly, signaling a text.

CoreeTheKid👅; Hey babygirl. I figured you would've texted me by now. 😜

Me; Who is this??

CoreeTheKid👅: Damn, you were really that faded 🤔? You were at the party last night, we exchanged numbers and you slept in my dorm.

Me; Oh, the lightskinned guy I woke up next to. Did we really sleep??

CoreeTheKid👅; Of course, I'm not really into giving it to girls who don't want it or aren't fully conscious or aware of what they may be wanting. Even if you were practically begging. 🌚