Chapter 13- Survived

Gabrielle. ((NOT EDITED, sorry))

beep... beep... beep... beep. beep. beep.

     I heard the repetitive noise quicken its pace as I began to wake up. My eyelids fluttered behind my lids until I opened them, only to be blurred by bright lines shining overhead.

     Blinking a few times, my vision is cleared and I recognize my surroundings as a hospital room, and the beeping noise was identified as a heart monitor.

    "What the hell?" I question, although it comes out a little strained, as I was little parched.

    "Nurse!" I hear my mom's voice call out, followed by shuffling out, "Oh sweetheart, my poor baby." She says, and hovers over me, my mind laced in confusion.

    "Mom, what's going on?" I look over and see a nurse tapping on a screen and writing things down on a sheet attached to a clip board

   The nurse turned to me, tilting her head in empathy. "Listen honey, you got hit by a drunk driver at a very high speed. You're lucky to be alive and its a little alarming how you don't have any major injuries, besides a couple cuts and scrapes as well as a fractured wrist and broken elbow."

     My brows scrunch together as I am confused, until all of the events come back to me. At this point, I'm more angry and fed up than sad.

     After the nurse leaves, my mom places her hand over mine. I noticed the tears forming in her eyes, before someone entered the room.

    Turning slowly, I see a sullen Daniel entering, and sharing an unspoken word with my mom. After brief eye contact with him, she releases my hand and exits in silence.

     I turn away from him and focus on the window, that is mostly shielded by mauve curtains.

     "Gabi." He begins, in an attempt to regain eye contact. "Gabs, please."

     "What Daniel? What could you possibly have to say to me right now?" I turn towards him and reply with a sharp tone.

     "Natalia and I aren't together or anything. I needed a distraction tonight and I let her get under my skin." He tries to explain, but it only sounds like poor excuses rolling off of his tongue.

      I chuckle dryly before shaking my head. "I really don't give a shit anymore. You can do whatever the hell you want. But for now, you can get out." I say, turning my head away from him again.

    "Gabrielle-" He places a begging hand over my right arm.

    I yank it away quickly, followed by a yelp of pain, as I hadn't realized that was my injured arm.

     "I'm so sorry." He says, sliding something out of his pocket. He lays it on my lap and I realized it was my now, mostly shattered cell phone. "You can barely see the screen. But who's 'Coree the kid'?" He questions using air quotes.

     "You know what, I don't think that's any of your business." I scoff, taking my phone from my lap with my left hand, and slowly sliding my thumb over the cracks, tiny shards falling out as I do so.

    "I believe it is." He tilts his head and rebuttals through gritted teeth, resting. his palms on the railing of the hospital.

    "And why is that?" I question, mimicking his head tilt, and raising my voice an octave.

    "Because your mine!" He shouts in a growling tone, his eyes darkening as he slams his hand on the railing, denting it slightly.

    I put up a facade and act as if I wasn't at all affected by his actions. "You think so? Because last time I checked being yours meant other females weren't running through your mind." I scoff once more, shaking my head.