Chapter 15- Confronted

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END

Gabrielle.

After I lightly knock on the cherry wood door, its opened by a smiling Rebecca.

"Oh my gosh, I feel like I haven't seen you in so long!" She laughs out, wrapping her arms around me for a hug.

"I know, how's college going?" I question, as she releases me.

We didn't get much time to really get to know one another before she was off for her junior year.

"It's going." She sighs, and for a brief moment the stress was apparent on her face, "But come in!" She finishes, dragging me inside by my wrists.

We make our way to the dining room where their mother, Lauren is setting lunch foods around the center of the table. Anisa and Theresa are both sat there and John is taking a seat at the head of the table.

He gives me a silent hello with his eyes.

Once the twins notice me, their bored faces light up a bit. "Hi Gabi!" They say in near unison.

I remembered a point where Daniel told me they thought I was cool or something of the sort.

I smile, making a mental note to acknowledge them more, "Hey guys." I reply, as Rebecca goes around me to take a seat.

Lauren takes me in a hug, followed by an air kiss on each cheek, pulling away to look at me.

"I'm so glad you came." She tells me, pulling me to a seat by Rebecca.

She takes a seat at the other end of the table, facing John.

I realize that Daniel still has yet to have made an appearance.

"So what exactly is going on between you and Daniel right now?" Laura questions, as she passes plates around, leaving one across from me for Daniel.

"We're taking a break, I guess." I take a plate from the remaining two, and pass the last one to John.

"For what? We don't really have the time for you two to take 'breaks'." He tells me, screwing his brows together.

My eyes roll in concealment as I find myself being scolded for his actions. "Maybe you should've asked him first. Supposedly he hasn't been clear of his feelings for me, but he's had no problem deciding that about Natalia." I scoff in slight irritation.

"What more could he possibly need to figure out? You guys are mates for goodness sake." Laura responds, her anger and confusion wasn't pointed at anyone in this room, but rather the absent Daniel, himself.

It's only silent for a few seconds before Daniel finally enters the room.

The sicken look he held the night of my accident still lived on his face, even as he gave me a warm smile and took his seat in the only one remaining across from me.

For a moment we all sit in silence as bowls of food are passed around. The tension in the room was most likely felt by everyone, and for a moment, I'd pitied Daniel,

I was going to decline the tray of salmon fillets Rebecca held out to me, being that I just had pizza, but the nerves my my stomach feel like a desolate island.

Once everyone's plates are filled with the different foods, John opens a conversation.

"Are you recovering well?" He asks in reference to my arm.

"Yeah, it hasn't really bothered me much." I smile briefly, before taking a bite of the pan-seared fish.

"Are you sleeping with Natalia?" Laura questions out of the blue, causing me to nearly choke on the fish. For a moment, it becomes so silent, you could hear a pin drop.