o n e

Amber
self-con·fi·dence
noun
- 1.
- a feeling of trust in one's abilities, qualities, and judgment.

Self-confidence.

Mariah reeked of it in everything she did. The way she walked, the way she talked, the way she would flip her hair. She was perfect and she let it be known that she was.

She stood in the dressing room mirror admiring herself in a dress she was debating on buying herself, well, with Noah's credit card.

As long as Amber had known her, she had never had to fend for herself because everyone around her did. She went from depending on her father to depending on Noah. Everything was handed to her she never had to ask for much.

Amber had watched her become who she is and part of her had always envied her but a part of her always reminded her that she was talking about her best friend. Everything always fell into place the way Mariah wanted it and that's wasn't her fault. She was a lucky girl.

Amber was the one trying to figure out how she would follow her dreams and become a nurse. It wasn't the easiest field to enter and succeed, but Amber was determined. Working with children were her first love, while shopping sprees was Mariah's.

"Amber, do you like this or not?" Mariah snapped, flipping her hair.

"It's nice."

She rolled her eyes and turned back around. "Nice? Girl, you know I look good. I don't even know why I bothered to ask you."

Amber picked up a nice blouse and admired it. She could buy it, but it wasn't something she needed, so she was debating whether to treat herself. She always had trouble splurging on herself.

"I wouldn't get that if I were you." Mariah said with a smirk. "You don't have the upper body for that shirt. It's not for you."

Amber dropped the shirt and nodded glancing down at her small chest. Amber had always been pretty petite.

"I'm getting this dress, let's go." She said pulling Amber in the direction of the registers. After she got her receipt and bag, they were headed back to her and Noah's house.

They sat and watched TV as Mariah repainted her toes to perfection and talked Amber's ear off about herself as usual. Amber on the other hand, was deeply invested into her biology book. She was in her final year of college and she couldn't afford to fail the test she had coming up.

The door opened and Noah walked in sliding his hat to the rear of his head.

"Hi baby!" Mariah squealed wrapping her arms around Noah's shoulders. He smiled and met her lips for a kiss. He looked at Amber and smiled causing her to smile as well.

"Wassup, Bestfriend." He joked opening his arms for a hug.

Mariah quickly smacked his hands down grabbing one inside of her own. She rolled her eyes and focused her attention back on Noah "No, I want to show you what I bought today." She said palming his face.

"Amber don't you have somewhere to be?" She asked rudely.

"I have class so I should get going." Amber mumbled standing up and grabbing her purse.

"Let me walk you out." Noah said moving from Mariah's grip a step just to be pulled back. "Babe, she can let herself out." Mariah retorted wrapping her mouth back around his, momentarily distracting him.

Amber walked towards the front of the house and out of the door. She swiftly made her way down the steps and started to walk down the street.

The university was a little ways from Noah's house but seeing how Amber had gotten there by Mariah and she wouldn't give her a ride home, she had to settle for a walk. It wasn't a big deal to Amber. She took it as a sign that she could use the extra exercise.