Chapter 26

"I can help you." Miss Mary said.

Judy sighed, and smiled in relief. They had finally found someone who would help them. She felt hope again, as well as joy and happiness. They can finally be free.

"There's an old temple on top of the hill. We must go there." the old fox said.

"I didn't see any hills there!" Finnick exclaimed aggressively, as if he didn't trust her.

"We will go as soon as the sun is down." she ignored him. "Why don't you stay at my house until we go? I need to finish my working hours." she suggested. She gave Nick a key, explaining where exactly her house was. "I'll be home soon." she finally told them.

..................................................

Nick unlocked the door, and they entered. It was an enormous house, with wooden furniture. Even though it was old, nothing was out of place and it was satisfyingly clean.

"I remember this place." Nick whispered. Judy glanced at him.

"Then you'll remember if the couch is comfortable, 'cause I wanna sleep!" Finnick yawned.

Nick chuckled slightly.  "Go ahead." Finnick shrugged and walked to the couch.

"Do you want me to show you the house? It has very interesting things." Nick suggested, looking at Judy. She smiled, and nodded in response.

They walked upstairs, Nick leading the way. Judy observes frames with evocative drawings full of familiar flowers. He opened a door and signaled her to enter first. He walked behind her and closed the door.

"That's Miss Mary's bedroom, as you can tell." he was referring to the wardrobe and the bed. It was simple, yet reposeful.

"I always loved this room, because of the balcony's view." he said, as he opened the curtain. Nick and Judy walked out and she was in awe. A mesmerizing scenery.

Distant meadows, small hills could be seen, making her want to jump outside and run. The cold breeze caused her to inhale and exhale. "Isn't it amazing?" he asked.

"I now understand why this is your favorite place." she smiled, still stunned.

"Oh, this is not my favorite room in the house." he shook his head. Judy tilted her head, wanting to know what could be better from what they were staring at. The rabbit followed the fox as he walked inside, and out of the room.

"My favorite is the attic." he said with excitement. He was looking forward to seeing that place after so many years.

They marched to the end of the haul, where there was another door. Nick opened it, but the light was so bright, that it caused Judy to close her eyes, and frown, as she felt a slight headache. She felt Nick grabbing her paw, and pulling her towards the light.

Judy opened her eyes, when she couldn't hear anything but her breath.

They were not inside the house anymore. They were standing on red roof tiles. Around them, they could only see the blue sky and clouds. No mountains and hills, nor flowers or ground at all. As if they were in the sky.

"How did..." she tried to ask, but her heart almost stopped, when she saw Nick stepping on a cloud, as if it was stair step.

"Come on." he beckoned. She took a deep breath, and stepped hesitantly on the cloud Nick was standing at. "Don't be scared, Carrots." he smirked, seeing her shake in fear.