Chapter 9

You wash your face in the sink. You look up in the mirror to see Zoe standing behind you. "Jesus Christ! Zoe!" She completely ignores the fact she freighted you. "Have you ever considered a new look? I mean, seriously, you could have some definite potential buried under all this hostility." She asks. "I'm not hostile. I'm annoyed." "Why don't you try being nice? People wouldn't know what to think." "You forget? I don't care what people think." You roll your eyes. "Yes, you do." "No, I don't. You don't always have to be who they want you to be, you know." "I happen to like being adored, thank you." She sticks her chin up. "Where'd you get the pearls?" "They're mom's" You narrow your eyes at her. "And you've been what? Hiding them for 3 years?" "No. Daddy found them in a drawer last week." "So you're just gonna start wearing them now?" "It's not like she's coming back to claim them. And besides, they look good on me." You rolled your eyes and push past her through the bathroom door. "Trust me. They don't."

*LATER THAT DAY, DOWNTOWN*

     You walk out of the music store. You look up to see that Dan is waiting for you, leaning casually against the front of your car. "Nice ride. Vintage fenders." "Are you following me?" You ask narrowing your eyes at him. "I was in the 7-Eleven. I saw your car. I came over to say hi." "Hi." You move to open the door, but he slides over and blocks your way. "Not a big talker, huh?" "Depends on the topic. My fenders don't really whip me into a verbal frenzy." Dan looks at you, shocked that you're not imitated by him. "You're not afraid of me, are you?" "Afraid of you? Why would I be afraid of you?" "Well, most people are." "Well, I'm not." "Well, maybe you're not afraid of me. But I'm sure you've thought about me naked, huh?" Dan suggests while smirking and doing a cheeky wink. "Am I that transparent? I want you, I need you, Oh baby, oh baby." You reply the sarcasm dripping off your voice. You open the door and forces him out of the way. When you start to pull out Caspar's sports car, which pulls up perpendicular to you and blocks you in. He gets out and just heads for the store. "What is it? Asshole day?" You ask with disbelief. "Hey! Do you mind?" "Not at all." He continues on into the store. You stare at him in disbelief... then reverse fast. Your vintage fenders crash into the door of Caspar's precious ego-mobile. Dan watches with a delighted grin as Caspar races out of the store back to his car. "You bitch!" You look at Caspar with an innocent look on your face. "Whoops." Then you drive off leaving Caspar and his crushed ego behind.

*BACK AT THE HOUSE*

      Mark paces as you sit there calmly on the couch. "Whoops?! My insurance does not cover PMS!" "Well, then tell them I had a seizure." "Is this about NYU? Are you punishing me because I want you to stay close to home?" "Aren't you punishing me because mom left?" "You think you could leave her out of this?" "Fine. Then stop making my decisions for me." "I'm your father. That's my right." "So what I want doesn't matter?" "You're eighteen. You don't know what you want. And you won't know what you want until you're forty-five. And if you get it, you'll be too old to use it." "I want to go to a huge University in a big city! I want you to trust me to make my own choices. And I want you to stop trying to control my life just because you can't control yours." "Oh yeah? Well, you know what I wan-" Mark was cut off by his phone going off. He reads through the text and sighs. "We'll continue this later." "Can't wait." You mumble as you walk out of the room and is intercepted by Zow, who's just off the phone. "Did you just crash into Caspar's car?!" She asks angrily. "Yeah. Looks like you're gonna have to take the bus." "Has the fact that you're completely psycho managed to escape your attention?" You just walk away hearing her screech "Daddy!"