chapter 20

Phil and Zoe are sitting together at a table in the library, she watches him as he reads over the book. "Puis-je vous offrir un panacheté?" (May I offer you a parsnip?) "Non tu ne peux pas." (No, you may not.) "Où est le crayon de mon oncle?" (Where is my uncle's pencil?) "Je ne sais pas. Peut-être que c'est ton cul?" (I don't know. Perhaps it's up your ass?" Zoe answers getting annoyed. Phil looks up from the book at her in shock. "Wait. Wait a minute. That, that's not on this page." Zoe slams the book closed and makes Phil look at her. "Permettez-moi de vous poser une question, Phil. Quand allez-vous me demander de sortir?" (Let me ask you a question, Phil. When are you going to ask me out?) Phil looks at her confused and she scoffs, shakes her head, gets up and storms off. Phil watches her completely confused by her outburst. He flips through his French book for an explanation and evidently finds one."Merde." (Shit)

      Mark currently does crunches on an abdominal machine, struggling magnificently to breathe. "Seven!" He stops, rolling onto the ground to catch his breath. He stands up as Zoe enters. "Daddy?" "Hi, honey." "Um, I want to discuss tomorrow night. As you know, it's the prom..." He was using a stretchy arm workout device, and it suddenly flies away off the balcony as that word left her mouth. "The prom? Y/N has a date?" "Well, no..." "Don't think you're fooling me for a second. I know who you want to bend the rules for. It's that hot potato Caspar." "What's a "hot potato"?" "It's a... nevermind. If your sister's not going, you're not going. End of story." "Okay, let's review. Y/N: not interested. Me: dying to go." Mark sighed. "You know what happens at proms?" Zoe rolled her eyes. "Yes, daddy. We'll dance, we'll kiss, we'll come home. It's not quite the crisis situation you imagine." Mark crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow. "Kissing, huh? That's what you think happens? Got news for you. Kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long." "Can we for 2 seconds ignore the fact that you're severely unhinged and discuss my need for a night of teenage normalcy?" "What's normal? Those damn shameless kids sleeping in each other's beds and whatnot?" "Daddy, that is so not..." "Got news for ya. I'm down. I've got the 411. And you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy. I don't care how lit his ride is." She groans and leaves. "My mama didn't raise no fool," Mark mumbles. The stretchy arm device now comes flying back onto the patio and lands in the hot tub. "Thanks, Billy!"