Chapter 8 ~ I Get Kicked Out...Then Kidnapped

~ Chapter 8 ~

When we got back to the lair, it was silent, kind of eerie too.

We all causally walked in to find April sitting on the couch.

She didn't jump up, say hello or anything, just watched TV.

I walked up to her and peered over her shoulder. "Whatcha watching, April..?" I asked.

Her jaw was clenched and her lips formed a hard, straight line with her eyebrows furrowed; she was in deep thought. "The news, apparently I'm on the watch list."

I scoffed. "Honestly, couldn't they just say I was a run away? We literately ran away from the orphanage."

April shrugged, finally ungluing her eyes from the TV screen. "Your orphanage probably just wants publicity."

I chuckled. "Tryin' to get money from the city, using my disappearance as a front. Never thought of that place as smart."

"Neither did I."

I jumped over the side and landed on the blue wrap around with a thunk. "It's a pretty good front, until they get caught."

"I doubt they will, I mean, you aren't going back...are you?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I hate that place but it's the only place I call home."

Mikey came up and hugged my with excitement. "You can call this place your home!"

I laughed softly and pushed him off. "I dunno Mikey, you guys are a little too--."

Leo interrupted me. "Guys, Sensei wants to see us."

They all stood up, but I stayed sitting.

Leo's expression hardened. "You to, Nick."

I huffed and got up from my seat I was getting settled into. How rude.

"This better be good," I muttered.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Splinter paced back and forth between us. I don't know if it was to get us uneasy, because if it was, it was working on me.

Truthfully, the rat scared me, always quiet, stern, had that uneasy look in his eye like he was ready for a sneak attack. I hated being afraid of him. I looked down on a monster dog and fish, and the peaceful rat gets to me.

We were all sitting on our knees, Splinters back was towards the tree and kept pacing.

Our eyes followed him everywhere he walked. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Then he stopped at the middle of us.

"My sons," he said quietly, addressing the turtles. "You have grown wise," he continued, his voice began to grow louder, "but still, you are young. The Shredder now sees you as a complete threat."

I let that sink in. Was that because I was here? Or was it some little feud going on?

"You need to use your ninja skills to your advantage, to stay concealed in the shadows, like ninjas do." Splinter said.

Despite what was going on, Mikey grinned and said, "Like ninjas do, Sensei. Always."

A grin crept on my face and I let out a slight chuckle. Leo flashed me a stern look and the grin vanished. Splinter Junior.

I rolled my thumbs back and forth, listening to Splinter while my mind was turning like gears. Splinter...Shredder...shadows...patrol...perfect.

Splinter dismissed us and I jumped up.