Chapter 11

For the next three days Louis and I stayed locked in his room. On the fourth day though, Gemma came to the door saying that his majesty the king would not allow Louis or I to do nothing any longer. We were expected to attend meals, if nothing else.

My back was much better. I was able to move around without a lot of pain but I was pretty sure it was covered in bruises.

Louis didn't fight the command. He helped me get dressed, he'd gotten my clothes moved back into his room, and slowly walked me down to the servants' dining room. He didn't enter the room like the last morning I ate here. Instead he kissed my forehead and said to go back to his bed chamber when I was done eating.

I nodded to him and watched him walk away. There were shouts coming from inside and I suddenly got the urge to just walk back to Louis' bed and not eat. A growl from my stomach stopped me though. If Louis heard my stomach grumbling he'd suspect something. I had to eat something.

I pushed the door open and when I did silence engulfed the room. Everyone stared at me as I walked to my table and sat beside Gemma. When, still, no one spoke, Gemma broke the tense silence.

"Good Morning Harry." She greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning." I replied, looking around just waiting for the heckling to start.

Everyone continued to stare at me silently. It was unnerving. When the food was brought out by the kitchen staff everyone turned away from me but stayed silent.

"How are you feeling?" Gemma asked me once everyone began eating.

"I'm feeling well." I flashed her a smile I hoped she thought was real.

She didn't seem to notice it was fake so I turned back to face my plate. I usually waited until everyone was finished filling their plates before I attempted to fix my own. This morning though, I was handed a bowl of strawberries by the man sitting next to me when he was finished.

I took the bowl and looked up at him. It was the man who I had threatened my last morning here, the man who gave Louis the whip. His eyes were still sad when they met mine. I thanked him and took the bowl.

This same thing happened four more times as we ate. Each time he looked sadder than the last. I was becoming even more uncomfortable now. What had I done now? Everyone was sneaking glances at me and no one was speaking. My uneasiness soon became annoyance and then quickly morphed into anger.

"Why do you keep looking at me like I'm infected with the plague?!" I shouted at him when I noticed him staring once again.

"I..." he trailed off and looked around the table.

My outburst had everyone staring together again. I felt like a side show attraction, trapped in a cage. The man finally looked back to me.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you. I had no idea what you go through." He told me and I squinted in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"It doesn't matter, let's just eat." Gemma spoke then.

The man ignored her.

"The way you're treated. I thought you were treated like royalty. I shouldn't have judged you. I had no idea what Crown Prince does to you." He rambled and I froze.

What was he talking about? What Louis does to me? What does that mean?

He must have seen my confusion because he continued. By now the entire room was listening.

"Gemma heard through the servants' door Christmas morning what he did to you. She heard you cry out and him yell. I always thought you liked to share a bed with his highness. And the way he beat you the night of the ball. I've never seen anyone look so angry while giving lashes."