Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Grace’s POV

For once, I was actually on time for school. I didn’t have to run through the parking lot, and I could take my sweet old time getting my stuff from my locker.

“Hey,” I said cheerfully when I saw Emma standing by my locker.

“Hey,” She said back. “Someone’s in a good mood today.”

“Who?” I asked, playing dumb. Emma just rolled her eyes. “What, am I not allowed to be in a good mood?”

“I never said that,” Emma retorted. “I just meant you’re awfully happy at 7 o’clock a.m. for someone who’s not a morning person.”

“Well, what can I say? I’m just in a good mood today,” I said, smiling brightly at my best friend.

“Could that have anything to do with it?” Emma asked, gesturing to something--or someone--behind me.

I was just about to turn around when I felt two arms slide around my waist from behind. I smiled even bigger, leaning back into his chest.

“You mean Austin?” I asked Emma with a nod. “Maybe.”

“What are you two talking about?” Austin asked, just as cheerful as I was.

“Oh, nothing,” I shrugged, tilting my head so I could see his face. He was watching me with a smile, joy clearly evident in his eyes.

Emma cleared her throat. I looked back to her. She had an amused smile on her face.

“Emma,” Austin said. I could feel him nod in acknowledgement. “How are you?”

“Just fine,” Emma answered in an oddly entertained tone. I shot her a questioning glance, but she just shook her head. “Well, I better get going. I’ll see you later, Grace.”

Emma turned to go, but just before she did she winked at me. I felt Austin laugh, and my cheeks began to burn.

Austin spun me around to face him, keeping his arms locked around my torso.

“Hey you,” he whispered, putting his lips to my ear.

A shiver ran up my spine, but I pushed him slightly away from me.

“Not here,” I reprimanded.

“Why?” Austin asked stubbornly, leaning his face in closer to mine again.

“Because, I-” My breath caught in my throat when Austin locked my gaze with his, scattering all coherent thoughts. I gulped noisily, trying to pull away but his hold was too tight. He smiled smugly, like he knew exactly how he was affecting me. “Because I said so.”