Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Austin’s POV

I slammed my gloved fist against the plexi-glass wall. I think I heard someone calling my name and telling me to calm down, but it sounded far away. The same voice instructed me to sit down on the bench, but I was too pissed for sitting.

Okay, so maybe I had ran into the opposing player a bit harder than I should have, and maybe I shouldn’t have started a fight, but really? Did that really amount to me not being able to play for the rest of game?

I ground my teeth together, my jaw clenched tight as I watched the rest of my team on the ice. I had already scored three goals and the first period was barely over. Coach knew I was playing well tonight, but I also knew he was pissed at me. For losing my temper. For punching that kid. Blah, blah, blah.

Normally, being his best player, Coach would’ve stood up for me when the ref sent me to the penalty box. But not tonight. Oh no, we can’t let anything go right for Austin.

It’s been two weeks since Grace and I had our fight. Fourteen fucking days. Two weeks of my own personal hell.

I refused to think of it as a break up, because it wasn’t. I will get her back. She’s not getting away so easily.

I’m sure I sound like some possessive jerk right now, but I love her. I love her more than anything, and I’m not giving up until she knows that.

When she left, I saw it in her eyes. She was afraid. Of me. I couldn’t live with that. Grace needs to know. She doesn’t have to love me back, or even want me in her life, she just needs to know.

The final buzzer rang, and I wondered how the game had ended so quickly. I stood up with a heavy sigh, slipping off my thick gloves. I started to skate off the ice after the rest of my team, but Coach stopped me. Great. Really just fucking great.

“Tyler,” Coached barked. “You’re not done yet.”

I hung my head, staring at the ice as I glided over to him.

“Yeah, Coach?” I asked warily.

“Eyes on me,” he ordered. Wow, someone was on their man period.

“Sorry, sir,” I said, lifting my head up.

“Austin, do you know how disappointed I am with you right now?” Coach asked disapprovingly. I held in a sigh, knowing this was going to be a long speech. “I have scouts lined up for you, Tyler, but they’re not going to want any part of the player you were tonight.”

“Sorry, Coach,” I grumbled, not trying to hide the fact that I wasn’t really listening.

“I hope you know I’m not mad at you for losing your temper, because that happens to all of us. I’m upset because you lost your temper and started a fight for a reason that I’m pretty sure has nothing to do with this game.”

“No, sir, it doesn’t,” I said, not bothering with a lie.

“Austin, you can’t let stuff bother you while you’re playing. I can’t be telling scouts what a great player I have on my team, and then they come to see you and I look like an idiot because you’re distracted and can’t handle yourself.”

Something in his words lit a fire inside of me. And I snapped. Again.

“Coach, there’s more to life than hockey, I hate to break it to you,” I retorted harshly. “There are more important things in life. Way more important. It’s not about not letting my life get in the way of hockey, it’s not letting hockey get in the way of my life.”