Chapter Seven - Waking the Demon

There's just no limit to the boundaries you push! I've warned you but still you just fuck with my mind! There's no escape from this rage that I feel! Nothing is real!

Waking the Demon - Bullet for My Valentine

~~~~~~

            Adam walked down the hallway quickly hoping not to be noticed by anyone. A hand landed on his shoulder and yanked him backwards. He fell and landed on his back in the middle of the hallway. Adams head missed hitting the floor by only inches. His glasses fell off somewhere to his side. Adam was basically blind without his glasses. His hands groped the floor for them. People passed by him on both sides. No one looking down. Rick, the head football player, grabs a hold of the front of his shirt pulling him from the floor and starts dragging him into one of the class rooms. Adam managed to grab a hold of his glasses just before they were out of his reach.

            "I heard you were looking at my girlfriend, stalker." Adam shook his head quickly clutching his glass in his sweaty palms. Rick kicked him hard in the stomach. He groaned in pain then rolled to his side. He kept a firm hold of the glasses. There was another hit to the side and then a final kick to the face. After a while, Adam pulled himself from the floor. Rick had left when the bell rang for class, but Adam just laid there, unmoving.

            Adam truly hated being treated this way. He felt that it was something he had to bare. Like a burden that kept crushing whatever dreams he had come to want. Adam slowly pulled himself to his knees as he sat in the middle of the empty classroom. The teacher wasn't there because she left at lunch each day. Adam wanted Alice, but he knew that she would be in class. Alice had always seemed so stressed about her classes and Adam could never figure it why. She outstandingly smart and she just didn't see it.

            Adam remained sitting on the floor for a few more moments before he fully stood up. Slowly he walked straight out the door of the school and to his car. The sunshine beat down on his back as he walked. Adam pulled open the door and slid in the drivers seat. For a moment he sat looking out the window. The school building stretched out in front of him. He sighed hard and started the car. It was a short drive home and it helped that he didn't feel like thinking.

            He didn't feel anything. He was numb. His mother questioned him relentlessly as he walked right past her and out into the backyard. He laid down on a hammock and sighed. His injuries finally getting the best of him. He stared at the sky waiting for a sign. A few hours later, Alice walked cautiously into the backyard. Adam just smiled at her. He rolled over a bit, then she laid down beside of him.

            "You were the talk of the school today." Adam didn't move his eyes from her face. "They said you deserved it." Adam put a hand lightly on her face. "I don't believe that."

           "You want to hear a story?" Alice nodded slowly.

            "There once was this knight. I mean he was hated, like really. Then there was this princess. She had these amazing eyes. Everyone loved the princess. The knight loved the princess from a far and she loved him. Just not in the same way. They were always going to be in love in two different ways. Destined to be apart. Star crossed lovers you might say." Alice looked at him for a moment.

            "Maybe the knight has a chance?" He shook his head slightly.

            "He never will. You want to watch a movie?" Alice nodded and smiled at him. He stood up then helped her up. They both walked into the house and he mumbled a few words to his mother about how they aren't going to do anything if they were alone in his room. After a moment of arguing, they end up in his room. Alice was laying across his bed and he was sitting in an egg chair right across from her. The movie that was playing was Percy Jackson and the Ligthing Thief.

            After an hour of watching the movie and making fun of the characters not looking like they're supposed to Adam stood up. He gestured rapidly and yelled at the TV. His shirt sleeves came down his arms as he did so to reveal several scars that looked as if they had been there for a while and just a few hours. Alice looked down at the bed then back up to Adam as he yelled how Grover is supposed to be a guy with curly red hair, not black. And that they were supposed to be 12 not 17. Alice shook her head a bit then laid down full on his bed. She stared at the ceiling for a moment.

            "Does the knight really love the princess?" Adam stopped for a moment, faltering, then looked over to her.

            "Of course he does. She's amazing."

            "Maybe the princess just doesn't think that anyone is able to be loved." Adam shook his head some.

            "Why would she think that?" Alice sat up on the bed and Adam walked over and sat down beside of her.

            "Maybe because we all accept the love we think we deserve." Adam leaned in closer towards her. Alice took in a small breath then leaned in as well. They sat there for a moment. Only inches apart from each other. Thoughts race through both of their heads. Adam leaned forwards a bit more and their lips touch. Alice jerked back from him and he opened his eyes quickly. She jumped up from the bed and grabbed her things.

            "I'm- I'm sorry." She turned around and walked out the door of his room. His mother said a few words to her as she walked past but she only smiled at her. She opened the front door and started walking out to the sidewalk. As she got farther from the house she turned around to see Adam standing at the door of the house. A nasty bruise on his eye and his cheek bone. There was a small frown on his face. It had began to drizzle, making Alice's hair a damp mess. She turned and looked down at the pavement as she walked home.

            All of her thought were jumbled together. She thought about kissing Adam, then she thought about Adam leaving. She stopped walking for a moment then sat down on the pavement. The rain water soaked through her jeans making her legs wet. She let out a long sigh then stood back up. She walked a little further to her house and sat down on the front steps.