Chapter Eleven - When We Were Young

But if by chance you're here alone. Can I have a moment before I go? 'Cause I've been by myself all night long, hoping you're someone I used to know. You look like a movie, you sound like a song. My God, this reminds me of when we were young.

When We Were Young – Adele

~~~~~~~

            Alice pulled open the front door of her house. The rain poured down behind them. Alice's mother wasn't home because she was on a business trip that Alice didn't bother to remember. The house was dark as Alice walked in and slipped off her shoes. Adam stood in the doorway for a moment before walking into the house and closing the door behind them. Their clothes dripped water onto the floor from being in the rain so long.

            "Do you want to borrow some clothes?" Adam nodded some and slipped off his black converses. Alice walked up the stairs and Adam followed behind her timidly. He had only been in her house a few times, but they had never been alone like this. Adam rubbed his hands together in a nervous fashion.

            "I probably have some." Adam simply nodded then looked around the room settling his gaze on the colorful ceiling. He stared up at it with a hint of wonder in his eyes. Alice was talented. She would never admit it but she was amazing. Alice walked over to her dresser and started looking for an extra set of clothes for Adam. Adam wanted to sit down because he was cold, but he also didn't want to get any of Alice's things wet so he remained standing and looking around her surprisingly colorful room. After a moment, Alice turned around holding a black tee-shirt and some grey sweat pants.

            "Here you are. Don't judge me for having guy clothes." She smiled at Adam making him laugh a little.

            "Could I change in the bathroom?" Alice nodded then pointed towards the closed door on the other side of the room. Adam smiled at her then walked into the bathroom. The florescent lights were bright against Adams skin. Adam traced the scars along his wrists and thighs with a sigh. He sat down on the side of the bathtub for a moment. The clothes Alice had given him were just the right size. He sighed some and began to change. Alice changed in the other room as well. Adam didn't like the way that things had went. First the dance had been terrible then when they were having fun it came a giant rain storm.

            "Are you decent?" Adam knocked on the bedroom door as he spoke. The door was pulled open to reveal Alice dressed in reindeer pants and a black shirt. Adam wanted to hug her. She looked so small and beautiful in the dim lights of her bedroom. The two of them looked like something from a movie. Though, if this was a movie then Adam would tell her how bad he felt, they would kiss, and it would be happily ever after, but this wasn't a movie. Adam wouldn't kiss her, and they wouldn't share all of their feelings in the moment.

            "Well, are you going to come in or just stand in my bathroom?" Alice giggled and Adam nodded stepping into the room once more. Alice walked over and sat down on the shaggy rug on the floor. Adam sat down as well. They both looked at each other for a moment before Adam thought of what he should say.

            "I'm sorry this turned out so terrible. Just friends or not friends." Alice shook her head at him.

            "It really doesn't matter. I had fun. That's what matters isn't it?" Adam nodded. He thought about the people at the dance and how if they would have stayed that Blake would probably have found something to accuse Adam of. He hated her.

            "What?" Alice leaned towards him and waved her hand in front of his face. He focused his green eyes back on her with a little smile.

            "I'm just thinking." Alice shook her head.

            "You're thinking an awful lot lately." That was true. Adam couldn't stop thinking of what could have gone wrong. He thought about what did go wrong, then he thought about what could have went right.

            "I know. It's just you should have had a good night at the dance, but people are so... vulgar sometimes that you can't." Alice nodded once more.

           "Yeah, but you can't let that stop you from liking them, or even loving them." Adam gave her a confused look.

            "What do you mean?" Alice put her head down some then looked up to him again.

            "I'm talking about my dad."

            "You never talk about him." Alice nodded.

            "What I mean by that is the fact that a part of me still loves my dad even after he cheated on me and my mom then took off and left. I heard mom on the phone the other day with him. She was asking him to come back and see me just for a little bit, but... it turns out that he has a new baby. A new child. A new me." Tears swelled in her eyes as she spoke. Adam shook his head then took Alice's hand.

            "No one could ever replace you, seriously. Why would I want to hang out with a baby anyways? I know nothing of child care." Alice laughed and wiped some tears from her eyes and Adam smiled at her. "No one could ever replace you. You're the best person that I've ever met. You need to give yourself some credit, L." Alice nodded.

            "I know. I just feel like he doesn't need me now." Adam placed a finger over her lips.

            "Well if he doesn't need you, then... he's a moron. An ass. A donkey if you would like. Like Donkey from Shrek, just not as funny or nice." Alice laughed again then looked up to Adam.

            "Thank you, Adam." He shakes his head.

            "Don't thank me. I'm just telling you what you already know, L." Alice smiled at him. "Don't worry your pretty little head about a thing he does. You're too good for him." Alice leaned forward and hugged him. They sat there like this for a while before Alice stood up.

            "Do you want to sleep?" Adam nodded and stood up as well. They both climbed onto the bed and laid down. They laid side-by-side on the bed looking at the starry ceiling.

"Hey Alice?" She hummed lightly as she was falling asleep. "I'm... I'm really glad you had a good time ." Alice was asleep. Her head was buried in the pillow fully beneath her. Adam didn't bother to move in fear that he would wake up Alice. Adam was deeply in love with her, and was searching for a way to tell her. He just couldn't find the words.