Chapter Twelve - Let Me Be

Let me be your first time. Let me be your last. Celebrate your highs and lift you when you crash. The only name you breathe. Let me be, let me be. Let me be your slow song. Let me be your fast. The thought rolling off your tongue. Your pocket full of cash. The dream when you sleep. Let me be, let me be

Let Me Be - Escape the Fate

~~~~~~

            February 3rd, the day that music died. February 3rd, the day Alice was born. Alice sat at her house. Light slipped through the curtains slightly. Alice was upset. She was upset because several years before she was even born, her favorite artist was killed in a plane crash. She had informed Adam of this several days earlier. Alice wanted to meet Buddy Holly, to ask him about his music, but she would never have the chance.

            The situation with Adam on the other hand was something she didn't care to think about very much. She liked him. It was obvious that he liked her but she could never just come out and say it like he did. She stared at the galaxy ceiling. Alice had always loved the thought of space. She looked at the stars and it took her back to a memory of when she was in the park with Adam. She heard her mother downstairs talking to her boyfriend, Andrew. She didn't like that her mother had moved on so fast from her dad, but come to think of it cheating was the reason he took off.

            Her mother deserved happiness, and Alice wanted to give her that but she just didn't know how. Alice was still grieving the loss of her father. She had told Adam of this several days ago, and how he now had another child. She knew that he wouldn't come back any time soon or at all, but she just missed him. She'd think of the memories they had together and what they loved to do. But she couldn't have that anymore. Alice hated letting things go. Toys, family members, and especially friends.

            There was a soft knock on her door. Alice looked towards the door slightly. Adam pushed the door open then smiled at her. He walked over and laid down on the bed beside of her. She turned her head so that she was looking at him. They were inches apart as they looked towards each other.

            "What's wrong, little Alice?" He poked her nose lightly and she smiled. His face had new bruises on it. She traced her fingers lightly over them.

            "Today is the day that music died."

            "I'm aware."

            "I didn't think that you'd be aware." Adam rolled his eyes.

            "Well I do love music." They laid there for a moment. Alice slid a little closer towards him. She stared into his deep green eyes with a simple smile. He looked back at her with a slight blush on his face from the close proximity.

            "I... I want to go do something." Alice sat up on the bed abruptly. Adam frowned slightly then sat up some and nodded.

            "That's a good idea." He climbed off the bed and straightened out his shirt.

            "Do you want to go to the park?" Alice nodded some with a slight smile.

            "I'm going to... I'm going to change. I'll be down stairs in a moment." Adam nodded and gave her a sleepy smile as he walked out of the room. Alice watched as he left then she placed her head in her hands. The boy that she liked, possibly even loved just walked away. She let him walk away. She could have kissed him and told him that she always liked him. Alice was just frozen in time. Unable to make a move. She groaned some and stood up from the bed.

            Adam stood downstairs. Alice's mother was sitting on the couch with her boyfriend. She looked over to him and smiled some.

            "Hey, Adam." Adam gave a slight wave and walked slowly into the living room where they were watching Criminal Minds. Adam stared at the screen for a moment then looked around the room. The walls were a tan color. There were several windows on the opposite wall. Adam opened the front door then walked out onto the porch.

            It had a small chair swing on side farthest from the door. Adam walked over to it. He pushed off the ground and swung for a moment before repeating the process. Alice pushed open the front door lightly and smiled at him through the glass. She had on a simple army green shirt, Capri pants, and white converse. Her outfit was so simple yet Adam couldn't help but to stare. She blushed some and pushed her hair behind her ear.

            "Are we leaving?" Adam nodded and stood up from his place on the porch.

            "You look beautiful, birthday girl." She blushed again and swatted him away some.

            "Hey! You didn't yell at me saying that we're just friends this time! Is there something you want to say Alice?" He nudged her arm slightly and the heat that was already in her face became worse. She hid her face some then shook her head.

            "I don't want to say anything." Adam laughed some then patted her arm awkwardly. They got to the small park rather quickly once Adam started basically skipping and Alice had to run to catch up with him. Adam came to a halt once they got to the park. He stood at the edge of the sidewalk and smiled at the small park. No one was there as it was a rather cold day. Alice rubbed her arms gently trying to keep the sleeves of her long shirt warm.

            Adam turned towards her and smiled. He slipped off the winter jacket he was wearing and handed it to her. She stared at his out stretched hand for a moment. Adam made a movement for her to grab it and she took it slowly. He laughed some then turned around towards the playground. Alice put the warm jacket on then smiled.

            Adam sat on one of the swings down from her. The wind blew softly through Alice's hair. Adam readjusted his glasses on his nose and swung some while smiling at her. She ran down the hill towards him. Alice took the seat next to him and smiled at him. Adam laughed a bit then poked her cheek.

            "See, I got you to smile on such a sad day." Alice laughed lightly and looked down. Adam pulled a small item from his pocket. He placed a small stuffed turtle in her hand. She smiled it then picked it up with both hands. She spun it around some then stared at it.

            "I love it." Adam smiled at her then kicked his feet back and forth.

            "Happy birthday." Alice smiled at him and held the little turtle close to her.