Chapter Five - Fragile

Crazy to think that a man can't hurt. Love takes its toll every time it don't work, yeah. One door closes and another opens, But it's hard to let go when your heart's broken. I give you my trust, can you give me your word?

Fragile - Kygo

~~~~~~~

            Adam spun the spoon around in his drink as Alice watched him closely. She didn't mean to be staring but something about him just made her wonder. The heat rose to Adams cheeks and he slammed his hands down softly making the drink bounce a bit. Alice leaned away from him.

            "Why're you looking at me like that? The way that people do." Alice got a confused look on her face. Adam sighed and sat forward moving his spoon around in his cereal bowl.

            "Well, what am I looking at you like?"

            "Like you want to know something." Alice crooked her head slightly to the right. Adam traced over her facial features with his eyes. She had a sleepy look in her eyes as she sat silently still watching him as well.

            "What would I want to know?"

            "Why I didn't message you last night." Adam sighed and Alice looked down to the table mat.

            "Why didn't you?" He quickly looked back down at the cereal and took a few bites of the cheerios. Alice did the same but kept stealing glances at him from across the table.

            "Alice."

            "Hm?"

           "Could I trust you? With, um, something really big." Alice nodded. "It's something I really don't want this getting to anyone." Alice tilted her head to the side.

            "Who do I have to tell?" Adam looked out the window with a deep frown.

            "Blake." Alice stared at him.

            "Do I look like I'd be friends with her?" Adam shook his head slightly. Alice watched him with a careful glance. He sighed some then looked back up to her.

            "I'll tell you." Alice shook her head.

            "You don't have to." Adam looked towards Alice. There was a look of something that she could tell in his eyes.

           "I kind of want to." Alice nodded.

            "Then okay." Alice reach over and took a long sip of her coffee. She had bags underneath her eyes, and a very sleepy atmosphere around her. Adam leaned forward a little to make sure to close the gap between them. Alice did the same thing and had a simple smile on her face that always made Adam feel so captivated.

            "I didn't want to trust you. I know I already told you the whole Blake thing and that was mostly it." Alice didn't interrupt. She sat perfectly still just waiting for him to gather the words into a perfect chorus to pass gracefully through his lips. "My parents fight constantly. You know that." Alice gave a small nod. Adam rubbed his hands together in a nervous fashion as he stared at the beautiful girl in front of him.

            "Dad was accusing mom of cheating, then mom just up and left. So my father started on me by saying that it was all my fault for making the family this way." Alice's eyes seemed unchanging as he went through the story, as if she was unaffected. Alice had been through roughly the same thing a year earlier. Adam's hardships didn't seem so hard for Alice anymore.

            "It'll be fine. No matter what happens. Believe me." Adam scoffed some.

            "Why should I?" Alice gave a slightly larger smile. She slipped a piece of hair behind her ear and she leaned even closer to him so that they were only inches apart from each other.

            "My dad up and left my mom last year. Except that he actually was cheating on her." Adam looked down to the table.

            "When you told me your dad wasn't around I assumed that he may have died." Alice shook her head with the smile never leaving her face.

            "He is dead to me. It'll be fine though. I promise. I mean look at me." Adam laughed a bit. Alice turned her attention out onto the street. It was dirty and run down just like everything else Alice had seen. She believed that nothing in this town would be beautiful, except for Adam. He smiled back to her and she studied his eyes. She picked up her bag and skateboard then motioned for Adam to follow her.

            He stood up shortly after she did. They both walked up to the register. Alice slipped the women a twenty dollar bill and got back a small amount of change. Adam walked over and opened the door for her. She gave him a small smile again then started down the street. Adam had to jog to keep up with her.

             "I was going to pay for it."

             "It's fine. It wasn't that much anyways. Plus I start work today." Adam kicked a rock then smiled over to her.

              "You got the job?" Alice nodded happily. She skipped a bit at the thought of working at a record store.

            "I'm happy about it." Adam smiled at her.

            "When do you work?"

            "I work this afternoon from 4 till about 8." Adam smiled a bit then looked down at the pavement. He thought for a moment then looked back over to Alice who was humming a small tune under her breath.

            "Hey Alice."

            "Yeah?"

            "Would you want to go on a date date tomorrow?" Alice smiled a little then looked down to the ground.

            "Adam, I just want to be friends. It's nothing against you, really. It's just that- just that I just moved here and it's not really a good time to jump right into something like this. Plus you wouldn't want to date me anyways." Alice playfully shoved Adam and he smiled slightly. He nodded kind of then laughed nervously.

            "I know what you mean. It's okay." Alice laughed a bit more then nudged him again. Adam smiled a little then they walk silently towards the school. The rest of the day neither of them brought up that he had asked her out. Adam tiptoed around the subject carefully. Neither of them wanting anything to be messed up.