Chapter Twenty-One - Good Riddance

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road. Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go, so make the best of this test, and don't ask why. It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time. It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life. So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind. Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time. Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial, For what it's worth it was worth all the while. It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.

Good Riddance - Green Day

~~~~~~

            Alice ran around her room trying to find the white shoes her mother had bought her a month before hand. So many things had changed, expect the fact that Alice's room was a constant mess. Her mother yelled twice before Alice found her shoes. She pulled on the high heels and rushed down the stairs. Andrew and her mother stood waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Her mother was engaged, they had decided to wait for another year to get married, but it meant that her mother was finally happy. She was finally moving on. This made Alice happy as well.

            "I need a picture!" Andrew held up the camera and Alice flashed him a smile. She continued down the rest of the stairs and out towards the car. Alice had overslept and lost the clothes she was going to wear which took about an hour which gave them five minutes to get to the high school.

            Their car pulled into the overcrowded parking lot and Alice sighed. Her mother looked around for a moment then turned towards Alice.

            "Do you want to just go on and we meet you in there?" Alice nodded then pulled open the car door when Andrew came to a slight stop. She run down the pathway towards the school building. Everyone was already inside the school when Alice arrived.

            Adam stood in the middle of the hallway. Paint green lockers surrounding him. The lights were off and very little light was shining through the double doors at the end of the hallway. He remained perfectly still in the middle of it all. Eight months had passed so quickly. It had seemed like only yesterday Alice was the new girl that Adam needed to help.

            "I'm going to miss this place." He looked around for a moment with a sad sort of smile. Alice opened the double doors at the end of the room. Light shines around the place for a moment before disappearing once again. She smiled once she saw him and started to run closer. Adam gave her the same sleepy smile he had kept all year long. It was Alice's favorite smile. She grabbed one of the hands that rested by his side. He looked down to her with a sort of sparkle in his eyes.

            "I'm glad I'm still here." Alice put her head on his shoulder some. "You know even after all the shitty memories of this place, I'm really gonna miss it because I won't be able to see you everyday; although, I won't be beaten up in the halls anymore. Those jackasses can't touch me outside of these walls." Alice laughed a bit then nodded.

            "I'm glad you're still here too. Now come on, Macho man. Your family is waiting for you plus I need to finish getting ready. I'm running late." Adam put his hand up some. She stopped for a moment and looked towards his face. It now had an ever so slight frown upon it.

            "Alice, I was making a mistake when I said I wanted to kill myself, and when I got in that stupid fight at Prom. Well a few of those stupid fights. I'm actually surprised I'm graduating." Alice laughed a bit then shook her head at him. She tugged on his hand a little more, but he put up his hand in protest.

            "I'm not done. This has been the best year of my life in spite of what has happened because I met you Alice Carson Webb. I... Love you. I do. I'm not just saying it to be all cheesy."

            "I love you too."

            "Please don't say it just because you feel bad that I made an ass of myself by saying it-"

            "I love you, silly." He smiled a little bigger then leaned in to kiss her. Adam brushed a piece of hair behind her ear then kissed her forehead.

            "I don't want this to be like some crappy high school movie, the one where the guy gets the girl and lives happily ever after." Alice shook her head again then started walking towards the double doors at the end of the hallway. For the last time they were walking the halls together. They were graduating.

            Life isn't a series of happy endings strung in to a story; although, we wish that it was.