Chapter Eight - Remembering Sunday

Even though she doesn't believe in love, He's determined to call her bluff. Who could deny these butterflies? They're filling his gut.

Remembering Sunday - All Time Low

~~~~~~

Alice hadn't slept all night. The only person she could think of was Adam. She shouldn't have left him like she did, but all she could think of was him leaving. With a sigh she sat up the bed. The morning light shone through the curtains ever so slightly. Alice got out of bed and pulled on her regular attire. A black shirt, skinny jeans, and VANS. Today she started the third week of work at the record shop she had went to with Adam all that time ago.

Alice loved the thought of Adam. It comforted her in a way she couldn't describe. Maybe that was love, but she couldn't accept it yet. There was a sharp knock on the door which forced Alice to look. Her mother stood in the doorway wearing basically the same outfit she always wore to work. Alice stared at her blankly for a moment.

"We're leaving soon."

"Okay." Her mother frowned when she looked down to her outfit.

"Is that what you're wearing?"

"Yes." Alice's mother put her hands down at her sides and began to turn around.

"Fine, Alice. I don't want to argue." Alice nodded.

"Okay." Her mother closed the door softly, it fell deadly silent. Alice stood motionless in the middle of her room. It was Friday. She would go to work after school. She should be happy, but the emotion just wouldn't show. As much as she tried and pleaded with herself she just couldn't. Alice picked up her bag and walked down the stairs. She didn't even have the effort to stomp on the stairs.

Life seemed a little duller today than it usually was. Maybe without Adam life had this effect on her. She sighed lightly walking into the kitchen. Her mother sat at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. She looked up when Alice entered the room.

"Are you going to eat?" Alice shook her head.

"No." She stood at the edge of the kitchen looking inwards. Her mother sat at the table watching her with a deep frown.

"Why not?" Alice simply shook her head.

"I'm not hungry." Her mother sat down the newspaper to look at her daughter fully.

"Alice." She turned to face her fully.

"Mom." Alice walked over and grabbed a coffee cup. She poured herself a cup of coffee and her mother watched her intently from the kitchen table. As much as she couldn't admit it, Alice liked the fact that her mother cared so much. Ever since her dad left her mom had tried to take all Alice's rage. It helped. It just wasn't what Alice herself wanted. She stood on the other side of the room sipping her coffee.

They sat in silence for almost 10 minutes. Alice replayed yesterday's events in her head. It had seemed she had made a mistake. Would Adam want to take her back? Would he even want to talk to her? Alice sat her coffee cup down in the sink then walked out the front door of the house. She stood with her back on the car door. A few minutes later, her mother walked out of the house and unlocked the car. Alice slide into the passenger seat. Her mother started the car and looked over to Alice.

"You have your license, why don't you want to drive more often?" Alice looked out the window towards their house.

"I don't like it." Her mother drummed her fingers against the wheel for a moment.