What you don't know

What You Don't Know

Jay's POV

It was a chilly autumn night, when my sister dragged me along to some party-I've never been to an actual high school party, like the ones you see in the movies. My sister said I needed to get out more, and that I wasn't seeing enough daylight or letting myself have enough fun since Mom and Dad died. She said all her senior friends were coming and that she couldn't miss out on this party, since it was the first one of the school year. So, she dragged me along, and I let her, because it seemed like she wanted to help me, and I couldn't shove that away.

We arrived when there were already several cars parked outside of this stranger's house. My sister turned down the music, and pulled the key out of the ignition. She looked over at me, and let out a small sigh; I guess she could tell I was regretting letting her bring me here I flinched at the sound of yells and loud laughter from inside. When my gaze fell on her, she offered a warm smile and told me not to act so nervous. I nodded, and pulled a small smile-she accepted my effort.

After stepping inside, I stood by the door and looked around at everyone-there were people rolled over laughing on the floor, girls gossiping in the corner, guys joking around and shoving each other a little too roughly.

My sister had already left my side and was chatting with some dudes holding beer bottles. The smell of alcohol made me feel nauseated so I sat against the wall, cross-legged, and hoped nobody would come and notice me.

One of the tall guys that was talking to my sister shouted, "GAME TIME. Everyone get in a circle!" I hugged my knees to my chest, thinking that maybe if I looked smaller, nobody would realize i was here and pull me over. I felt a tug on my arm, and I looked up to see my sister smiling and saying, "Come on, Jay!"

I began to slowly stand up, and almost lost my balance because my sister was pulling me so hard-I let out a small, nervous laugh, and sat down between my sister and the drunk guy that had been flirting with her since she walked in. His blue eyes reminded me of her "dream boy"'s. She used to tell me all of the things they would do once they're a couple.

I wish my sister knew how much more she deserved.

My eyes glided over all the faces surrounding me-there were pretty girls and good-looking guys, but I had no interest in getting to know these people. I recognized a couple other juniors from school, but I didn't know their name, nor did I really want to know. Braedon, Carly's "dream boy", finished the last sip from his beer bottle and placed it in the middle.

"Spin the Bottle," he announced, his lips slowly forming into a crooked smile. The semll of his beer breath made my stomach turn. His eyes scattered over the circle of people, and he winked at a few of the blonde gossiping girls.

My own eyes were glued on the bottle. I silently panicked, imagining it landing on me as it spun over and over, and over. There had already been six rounds, and I still hadn't gotten chosen. I was lucky-there were only about twenty-five of us.

My sister got to kiss Braedon, and I was afraid Braedan wasn't going to remember it was her because he was so drunk. Maybe it was better if he didn't remember. At least then Carly would realize that to him, she's just another girl.

After their kiss, two girls leaned in and french kissed, and although they both made disgusted faces, the guys seemed to enjoy the little scene, and maybe the girls did too, secretly. My eyes fell back to the bottle, and I closed my eyes in fear as it spun.

My eyelids lifted just as the bottle stopped moving. I felt a jolt in my stomach when I looked up and realized why everyone was staring at me. Braedon smirked and leaned over to spin the bottle again for my partner.

So much for being the lucky unchosen one.