Rosie

We had just gotten out of break, and Drake ran into me accidentally on purpose, nearly knowcking me over. He kept chanting chanting "Pool time, pool time, pool time," and was grinning ear to ear. I laughed and agreed to go with him, and he ran down the hall to go upstairs to our room, I guess to get a head start on getting ready.

I walked down the hallway and opened our door to find Drake jumping up and down on his bed, only wearing his swim trunks and a neon green t-shirt. Typical. I smiled, shook my head, and went into the bathroom to change. Drake had all of his morning appliances orderly laid out on the sink-they looked exactly the same every day. I looked at myself in the mirror after changing, and wished I had more stomach muscles than I did right now. I started reaching for the door, but I noticed a piece of paper slightly sticking out from underneath his blow drier. I pulled it out and unraveled the sloppy fold. I squinted, trying to read the small, scratchy writing:

Monday 4:15

That's all it said. I started at it in confusion, then jumped when Drake shouted from the other side of the door, "Ready?"

"Uhh, yeah, hold on," I tried not to sound too suspicious and I folded the paper up as sloppily as I found it, and stuck it back under his blow drier. He opened the door before I could though, and saw the note. He immeadiately grabbed it and ripped it u, and I wondered if he had even read it yet. His face twisted in a small sense of seriousness, and he shrugged, then smiled softly, muttering "Sorry about that."

When he closed the door again, I pulled a t-shirt over my head and headed to the pool with Drake by my side.

I considered asking him about the note. Maybe he wrote it. He had neat handwriting, though, I had seen him write before. Maybe he purposely wrote sloppily so nobody could read it. But what if the note was for him? Who was it from? And was it today the mystery person was talking about when he, or she, wrote "Monday"?

My thoughts broke when Drake was pulling on my arm, telling me his friends were waiting for us. He always hung out with the same people. I mean, he talked to about everyone in the school, but he had a permanent group that he stuck around during breaks. One of them we a tall girl with long, auburn hair-she's the one who pulled me into the pool the first time, and she's done the same thing ever since the whole scene made everyone laugh. After being pulled in, I swam back up to the surface and pulled myself over the edge and sat down, watching them. I know that might sound creepy, but I always have found amusement in watching interesting people. They really were interesting. Auburn Hair was piggyback-riding a tall, tanned blonde. I wondered if they were dating, but Auburn Hair seemed to have just as much fun with the red headed dude. Drake messed around with Red Head, dunking him into the water and taking his revenge-there was a weird sense of truth to them throwing each other around, even though Drake was grinning. It gave me a feeling I couldn't really place. Red Head moved across the circle of friends to Auburn Hair and a shorter, stubbier, paler girl named Rosie. She was pretty.

Drake swam over to where I had been sitting after five minutes of coming to the pool, and he lifted himself just enough to cross his arms over the side of the pool and rested his chin on his arm, looking up at me. "How are you doing?" his expression seemed somewhat serious, but then he smiled and followed my eyes. "Checking out Rosie? She's single, and she told me you're cute." He shrugged. "You should ask her out, she'd love it."

He didn't really give me a chance to say anything back because he went right under the water and rose to the surface at least ten feet away from me. He was laughing at himself, and I was glancing at Rosie. She caught my eye and blushed a little bit. She swam over and started talking to me about how much she hates it here but loves break time, and pointed out her friends. She was like Drake in the way that she loved to talk. But she liked talking about herself-Drake talked about other things. She was nice though, and I hadn't had a girlfriend in at least a year. Plus, Drake had already warmed her up for me. So I asked her out on a date, and she quickly said yes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lalalalala.