Close My Eyes

When I went home that day, trying to absorb all that happened. I went to my room, locked the door, put on my headphones and stared at my ceiling. Why is this happening to me, here I thought I was starting to piece my family together, turns out, it would take more than match making for my parents to end up together. I needed a miracle, and I needed one badly. I know that the doctors gave him a good prognosis that doesn't cut it. Given the string of bad luck coming to our family this past few years, I wonder what will happen next. 

I cried myself to sleep that night, not knowing what to do next. 

I cried myself to sleep, knowing that I might lose my papa, again.

The next day I woke up with a pounding headache, as if i had been drinking the night before. I checked myself out the mirror. Shit. I look like crap, mama's gonna ask what's wrong. And if only I could tell her. I hopped on the shower, hoping that it could help with the swollen eye situation. It didn't.

So I had to face the music, and lie.

Good, you're up. I was just about to wake you up myself. What time did you get in? Did you have fun at the mall?

No. more like bawling like a baby.

Sorry, I went home past twelve. I watched the last full show at the theater.

She looked at me and noticed my eyes.

Oh, why are your eyes like that? 

Uh, Allergies. Good one. 

Since when are you allergic to anything?

Since.. We came back, you know ma, I think it's in the air.

If you say so. She said, but still not convinced. So have you talked to your father yet?

Yep! he apologised for not being able to text me, he just thought na I wanted space. Where did that come from Ava? 

Space?

Cause I told him na, I might get a new part, and I really needed to study about it. Na I needed time to focus. Maybe that's why he thought I wanted space.

Still not a reason why he shouldn't contact you. Sabi ko na nga ba going back home was a bad idea.

Ma, don't. Don't make it about him not being a good father. He's trying believe it or not, not just to impress me but you too. He's trying to make amends with the mistakes he's done in the past. And If you just.. oh never mind.

If I just what Ava?

Don't bother about what I said.

If I just what Ava? Tell me. she said sternly.

If you had just gotten off your high horse and gave him a chance then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. He wouldn't have to tiptoe around my life and get to know me again. There, I said it, happy?

  I walked out.