White Lies

Hello, ito po ba si Ms. Sabrina Gomez?

Yes po. How can I help you?

Ah yes mam, this is Evelyn po from ER po ng Makati Med. Kayo po kasi listed emergency contact ni Mr. Richard Gomez. Kailangan po kayo dito ng father niyo po mam, rinush po siya sa Ospital dahil po sumuka po siya ng may dugo.

Ok. Sige, I'm coming. What do I tell mom? I was heading through the door when she stopped me.

And where do you think you're going?

Uh, school. Mag aral Lang po sa library.

Ihatid na kita. I don't have anything to do naman.

It's okay na ma! I'll just take mang Jun with me. You can have a relaxing me day. Ok? I got to go.

Oh-kaaay? Sige. Text me nalang, I'll follow you. Let's have dinner.

Ay, I dunno lang ma. Cause di ko po alam what time we'll finish. Because I have to finish earlier than the rest of  my classmates. I have an audition for a role next week. Ok ma? I really have to go. My friend is waiting for me.

I honestly don't know how I came up with that excuse. Hopefully she buys it. Luckily, she doesnt know any of my friends yet from school, so technically there's no one for her to call. My plan was perfect!

Mang Jun dalhin niyo po ako sa school. Ok, from school, i'll take an uber to the hospital. I just hope i'm not too late.

I texted ninong John and ask him if he could rush to go see papa. Only ninong John and I know about papa's condition. And I only told him because i was having trouble helping papa when he had his first wave of chemo. Good thing he replied right away saying that he didn't have a shoot naman. It was hard, even for ninong John that no one knew about papa, even his wife didn't know. So we'd always come up with the lamest excuse. Buti nalang "helping me learn how to drive around the crazy manila traffic" was a good enough excuse for tita Pri.

I got to the hospital, and tito John welcomed me at the room. He told me that they'd just taken dad to get a Pet Scan. He looked shaken, we both did.

Dawn's POV

I followed Ava. When she got dropped off at school she immediately got onto another. Got me worried, never mind she lied to me. It's riding a strangers car.

I followed the car and found my self in front of Makati Med. And because I had to park the car, I lost Ava. I went to the receptionist and asked, Miss, anong room number ni Gomez, Richard.

Ah mam. Kaano ano po kayo ng patient?

Asawa. She looked at me, wondering why I wouldn't know my own husbamd's room number. Dinala daw siya dito emergency? Sana tama.

Pwede po ba makakita po ng ID mam? Pasensya na po. Protocol Lang.

Ah ok sige. I showed her my license.

Thank you po mam, Bali po nilipat na po siya from ER to Room 807 east wing po. So that's why Ava was in a hurry, Richard was rushed to the hospital.

Thank you miss ha.

There I stood along the hallway. Not knowing if I should be mad at Ava. Or guilty. I remember the last thing she said to me when we had our fight. He wouldn't have to tiptoe around my life and get to know me again. She shouldn't have hidden this from me, if only I'd given Richard a second chance, if only I'd given Ava normalcy. Then maybe she didn't have to lie about going to her own sick father. Nasusuka ako sa sarili ko. Because despite all the hurt that Richard caused, he will always be the love of my life.

When I saw John and Ava come out of the room, I hid. Oh inaanak ha. Pag kailangan mo ng tulong tawag Ka Lang. Ano pala sasabihin mo sa mama mo? Bat Ka wala.

I don't know ninong. I hate lying to her again. Pero you know how difficult it is for dad. Ayaw niyang maging rason yung sakit niya para lang maging ok sila ni mama. Sorry ninong, I dragged you into this.

Sigurado Ka ba? Pwede naman ako muna mag bantay sa papa mo.

Hindi sige ninong. Ako na. Hindi Lang ako makakatulog pa iwan ko siya eh. Thank you po ha ninong. I don't know how I'd manage.

Kayo pa ba ni bespren? Basta inaanak, tawag Ka Lang ha? And thank you na ok na natin sabihin Kay tita Pri mo. Pinagduduhan na kasi ako eh. Wag Ka mag alala di niya sasabihin kahit kanino. Pag dadala Ka daw niya ng pag kain bukas. Dalaw kami ulit bukas. Pahinga ka na.

When I saw John leave. I tried to enter the room, but my feet stopped me. Until Ava came out of the room, shocking the both of us.