Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22

“Bye!” Ivy called as she stepped out of Derrek’s front door. 

Danny followed, waving.

“Bye, guys! Thanks for your support,” I smiled weakly before shutting the door.

“Alright, off we go,” Derrek spoke.

Minutes later we were standing in front of a very serious Board.

“Aurora,” Aerisia breathed a sigh of relief. 

“What?” I responded, confused at her reaction.

“I’m just glad to see that you’re alright.”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” I responded, not getting it.

“We’re suspecting foul play regarding the death of your mother. If someone was out to get her, they’re surely out to get you, too.” She replied.

“Wait, what?”

“Aurora, we think your mother was murdered,” Ignis spoke. 

“Murdered?! You’ve got to be kidding me. Who in their right mind would want to murder my mom, of all people?” I spewed, trying not to believe the fact that someone would deliberately end my mother’s life. 

“We’re not sure, but this is pretty serious. Someone- and we have no idea who- is trying to get into our little system here. If they get their hands on these powers somehow, the results could be disastrous,” Aerisia responded. 

“Have you noticed anyone acting unusual lately?” Luna asked.

I began shaking my head, but I remembered the guy in our house the night my mom got shot.

“Yeah! That guy that was in my house the night my mom got shot,” I exclaimed.

“Why didn’t you tell us about this?” Ignis asked.

“It was before I knew about all of this- I didn’t think of it as important,” I explained. 

And then it hit me, “that’s why he said I was magical!”

The entire Board stared at me with a look of alarm.

“I fear this is worse than we thought,” Aerisia spoke immediately. 

“How are we going to keep her safe until we figure out who and what this person wants?” Luna asked.

“She’ll definitely be staying with me, that’s for sure,” Derrek spoke. 

“I’m not exactly sure that’s enough right now, but it’ll work until we come up with something better, I guess,” Aerisia responded. 

“We’ll need to investigate your mother’s death, but we’re sort of stuck in this realm. I don’t know how we’ll go about this,” Ignis changed the subject. 

“I think we should call everyone together,” Terre spoke.

It’s the first time he’s said anything, not counting introductions. We all gaped at him.

“Why are you looking at me like that? It’s a perfectly reasonable suggestion for this situation. Not only would be have the opportunity to combine our thoughts, but-”

“No, you’re right,” Aerisia interrupted. “No explanation necessary.”

“Dude,” Sol spoke. “Did you just talk?” 

“Well, technically speaking-”

“Yeah,” Luna cut him off again. “He did.” 

Aquamarine took the opportunity to speak as well.