Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter 23

“Aurora! Quick, use your powers!” He shouted 

I struggled to bring the intruder up in the air, and I felt the power that the held. It was no match for my own, but it was there nonetheless. 

Derrek stood, and planted both feet firmly on the ground. Wind was whipping my hair all over the place, and loose objects in the room began swirling around the masked man. Derrek’s face had a scary expression- one full of pure power. One I honestly hoped to never see again. He threw his hands in the air and jets of water slammed the man into the wall. When I felt him no longer struggling, I slowed the wind. 

Derrek and I were both breathing heavily as we approached the intruder, whom we showed no mercy. At a time like that, excessive force was better than too little. The adrenaline only fueled our fully matured powers more, resulting in a completely destroyed-and dripping- living room. 

“Is he still alive?” I spoke quietly.

“Yeah,” Derrek responded instantly. “He is too powerful to die so easily. I need a rope or something,” he continued, looking around.

“Do you honestly think a rope will hold him back?” I pointed out.

He sighed, “no.”

“Let’s take him to The Board. Then we can tell them about my mother,” I suggested.

“I’m not sure if he’ll be able to travel to that realm…but we can try,” he responded. 

“Grab his arm, I’ll try and take us.” 

Derrek nodded and did as I said, and we appeared in front of The Board immediately. 

“Who’s this?” Aerisia spoke.

I silently wondered why she was always the first to speak when we appeared. 

“We went to my place after discovering the hospital hasn’t housed my mom since the shooting,” I started, not missing a few gasps. “And he tried jumping Derrek,” I finished.

“How can you be so calm about this?” Luna wondered.

I shrugged, “it’s as under control as it can be right now. Spazzing out won’t do much good,” I laughed. 

“Dude,” Sol turned to Derrek. “You’re so lucky. She isn’t even a drama queen. What’s wrong with her? There’s got to be something.” 

Derrek ignored him, “what do we do? Her mom could be alive at this very moment, in dire need of help.” 

“I don’t think she could be, I think she is,” I added. 

Everyone nodded in agreement, save for the masked man at my feet.

“We’ll try and pick up on her whereabouts,” Aerisia said. “Though it might be difficult now that your power has fully matured.” 

“We’re planning for everyone to meet later tonight. Around six, your time,” Ignis informed us. 

“For now, you guys should go home and relax, if it’s possible,” Aerisia suggested. “We’ll take care of that guy.”

Derrek and I nodded and went back to his place.

“Can we call Ivy and Danny again?” I asked.

He frowned slightly. 

“What?” I asked.

“No, it’s fine. You can call them over,” he shook it off and smiled, though not wholeheartedly.

What was up with him?