Explanations

Reincarnation

Chapter 10

Summer 2012: 2nd September:

Ciel woke up at 7 o'clock on the dot, fully prepared for the first day of his final year at school. He was out the house by quarter past 8 and met Alois at the end of his road as they had planned. Alois supplied him, like he always did, with the latest gossip on the way to school.

"Did you know that the new headmaster is actually the owner of the school?" Alois asked.

Ciel shook his head. He hadn't really had a chance to think about school properly yet. His mind had been in a mess since he had discovered his ancestor's journals.

He had always thought of his ancestor as a spoiled brat who was overrated just because he was an Earl at the age of 12; he hadn't earned it- he had just inherited the title from his father who had died in a mysterious fire.

However the journals had changed his perspective entirely. He had sat on the cold floor of the library, illuminated by the orange light of the setting sun, captivated by the real story of Ciel Phantomhive's life. He had even shed a tear when he had read the description of when Ciel had been tortured by a sadistic cult of people that were going to sacrifice him.

Now, he admired his ancestor for rising anew after losing all hope and becoming the Queen's watchdog and the head of Funtom. Although he still wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to carry out what his ancestor had requested him to do.

"Apparently we also have a new history teacher and a security guard," Alois continued and glanced over at his best friend who had been stoically silent for most of the journey. "Ciel, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, thank you."

Alois stopped walking. "No, something about you seems different."

"I'm all right, really. I've just found out something that had changed my opinion on something important."

Ciel has been shocked to find out that Alois had an ancestor who had also made a contract with a demon and had become an Earl. The ancestor had also shattered the contract between the original Ciel and his demon although it had not been entirely his fault. But he didn't want to tell Alois any of this.

Alois detected that Ciel didn't want to talk about it so he didn't push the matter. Instead he turned the conversation back to the original subject.

"I've heard that the new history teacher is gay! And he had glasses!"

Ciel smiled at him. "So, you still have a thing for older men with glasses?"

He felt a pang when he remembered that the original Ciel had described Claude Faustus, the demon that Alois' ancestor had contracted with, as being in his late twenties with glasses.

Alois checked the time on his phone. "I think we had better stop talking otherwise we are going to be late for registration."

The pair reached the gates of Weston College just before the bell. They slipped into their form room as their form tutor was taking the register. When the teacher had finished checking attendance, he walked up to the table that Ciel shared with Alois.

"Ciel, Mr. Spears, the new headmaster, would like a word with you in his office," the teacher said quietly. "I'll give you your timetable later."

Ciel nodded and left the room. As he walked along the white walled corridor he considered the reasons why the headmaster would want to talk to him. He had always been a well behaved student so it clearly wasn't anything to do with a lack of discipline.