Full English

Reincarnation

Chapter 5:

Undertaker placed himself on top of one of his coffins which was lying on the floor of the shop and made himself comfortable. Sebastian however, remained standing.

"Tell me, Sebastian, what do you know about reincarnation?" Undertaker enquired as he fished around the same jar as he had always used, for a bone shaped biscuit.

"According to the Collins English Dictionary, it is the belief that on the death of the body the soul is born again. I take it that Grim Reapers have some control over it," Sebastian answered.

"We do, but it isn't perfect. The person isn't always quite the same, some details may be different, the ones caused by environmental factors, genetics however remain the same," he said significantly before taking a bite of his biscuit.

Sebastian felt as if he was being given subtle hints by the Grim Reaper, then again he could just be talking nonsense, Undertaker had always been one to talk around the point.

"Is it legal for a soul to be reborn into this world?"

"Hehe, good question. It is actually illegal as it involves tampering with the person's Cinematic Record which can be dangerous as you know from the incident on the ship. It is only permitted in special circumstances."

It was beginning to sound increasingly likely that the Phantomhive family has not been reincarnated and were simply ancestors with uncanny resemblances to their previous counterparts. Then he remembered the suspicious presence of the Grim Reapers, no, there was definitely something strange about the entire situation.

"Can I ask for any more hints?" he asked after a moment of thought.

"Hmmm.. only if you answer a question first?"

The former butler paused in suspicion before granting his consent. "You may."

Undertaker regarded Sebastian carefully, his eyes partially showing under his heavy fringe. "Why are you "Sebastian"? You are free to take any form that you like." He said as he looked at the man standing in front of him looking exactly as the same as he had over 100 years ago, the long black hair with the fringe parted in the middle. The only thing had changed was the clothes.

Sebastian was puzzled for a moment before he realised the significance of the question. He had taken the form and the name at his former master's request for him to become his butler. After the demon Ciel's death he had been free to take a new form and a name, but he hadn't.

Why hadn't he?

An attachment to the boy perhaps? An attachment to the soul that he had never been able to taste? The latter option was the more likely one, he decided. His feelings towards the human Earl Ciel Phantomhive were fond, a little like his feelings for cats.

He had enjoyed watching the boy fail at simple physical tasks like tying his own shoelaces and eye patch, but he had also enjoyed watching the devious smirk for on his face whenever the boy had worked something out or had outwitted his current nemesis.

Then it came to him suddenly, as if he had been targeted by an electric shock.

He had liked the human Ciel Phantomhive. He had kept the form because he had still wanted to have an attachment to the human boy that he had been fond of. He was not really fond of any of his other contractees.

That was why he was stalking the descendent of his former master now, to try to reclaim the human master that he had liked.

As he was finally connecting the dots together Undertaker cackled merrily.