Chapter 2

I walked with Gandalf towards the horses, saddling up one and waited for Lord Elrond. A smirking Boromir walked towards me. What a way to start the morning.

"You look like a man." I glared at him, clenching my hands into fists.

"I will not be fighting in gown." Duh, I wanted to add. We both stopped talking when Lord Elrond appeared.

"The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further that you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you."

"The fellowship awaits the Ring Bearer," Gandalf said from behind us. Frodo turned to the exit and walked through.

"Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?" Frodo whispered.

"Left."

*

  We walked for many days, passing waterfalls and walking across bridges. Not once did we see an orc. We sat down on a hill, taking a rest before continuing. I sat down beside Gandalf and ate my sausage. Merry and Pippin were fighting against Boromir with swords. They were failing miserably.

"Move your feet," Aragorn called out, who was watching nearby. I tuned into what Gandalf and Gimli were saying.

"If anyone were to ask for my opinion, which I note they have not, I would say we are taking the long way round. Gandalf, we can pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome."

"No, Gimli. I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice," Gandalf replied. Legolas jumped onto a rock in front of me, staring at the sky. I stood up too, trying to see what was going on. A flock of birds were flying towards us.

"It's moving too fast," Boromir said after Gimli shrugged it off as a cloud.

"Hide!" Aragorn shouted. Legolas pulled me down beside him under some brush. The flock of birds passed quickly over us. It wasn't until after the birds were gone did I realize how close we were. I brushed away the thought even though my cheeks were warm.

"Spies of Saruman," Gandalf said, getting out from under a rock. Legolas helped me up and I gathered my bow and arrows, which seemed to fall at the most random moments. After I put the last arrow away, Gandalf made a decision.

"We must take the Pass of Caradhras."

*

  We clambered through walk and snow for about a week, my feet about freezing right off. Not that anyone would notice with them being buried under a foot of snow. Of course, Legolas could walk on top of it like the show off he is. Then Legolas spoke up.

"There is a fell voice on the air," and of course Gandalf pointed out the obvious by saying,"It's Saruman!" Right after, large stone fell around us.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain. Gandalf! We must turn back!" Aragorn yelled as I felt myself become dizzy.

"No!" both Gandalf and I screamed out before I passed out in the snow.

*

   I started to come to as Gandalf yelled at one of the hobbits. Legolas was holding onto me. I hope he didn't have to carry me all the way to wherever we are. Then I recognized the waters of Moria.

"Legolas," I whispered in his ear. He flinched a little, clearly startled.

"You can put me down." He did, making sure I could stand. Gandalf sat on a rock with a frustrated sigh. A movement in the water caught my eye causing me to grow uneasy.