Chapter 18

Aragorn turned with his sword raised up and charged the army of orcs. Then we followed. I took my mother's advice for once. Magic it would be. Here and there I would catch unsuspecting orcs on fire until I decided to tryi something else. Something that Gandalf had tried to teach me. Light. You have to have a pure heart and soul in order to use it. It conquers all things evil.

I took a deep breath.

"Be gone and go back back to the fires from where you came!" Suddenly, a bright white light shot forth from my hand before a about a hundred orcs turned to dust. For some reason, this magic didn't drain me. Actually, it gave me more energy. I continued to fight until I heard a loud rumble from Mount Doom. When I turned to look at it, I saw that it was exploding. Frodo and Sam had finally done it!

I got off of my horse in triumph when I felt a pain shoot through my abdomen. I looked down at my stomach to find a dagger lodged into it. Someone had thrown it at me. I pulled it out with a cry of pain. I gabbed onto Baralin, trying to keep my balance but even my vision was becoming blurry. I fell to the ground as I heard my name. Legolas, I think it was.

My eyes closed and like that, my life was over.

***

Legolas's P.O.V.

I pulled Arietta into my lap. She wasn't breathing anymore. By now, a crowd had gathered around us, some sobbing, some gasping.

"You can't do this to me. What about our future?" I whispered into her ear. She wasn't going to reply with one of her sarcastic retorts. She wasn't going to reply at all.

Another gasp went through the crowd but I didn't look to see who it was. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Son, let me take it from here." I looked up to see a man with gray hair and red robe. I quickly stood up and joined Adalia who looked stunned. The man then sprinkled ash onto Arietta before turning to us.

"Our family's main power is fire and healing. There are rules to our powers. When a volcano erupts, though, those rules do not apply due to the fact that we are strong enough to canel them out. Enough to allow me to bring back a person from the dead." I stared at him in disbelief as he began singing.

And death shall have no dominion.

Dead man naked they shall be one

With the man in the wind and the west moon;

When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,

They shall have stars at elbow and foot;

Though they go mad they shall be sane,

Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;

Though lovers be lost love shall not;

And death shall have no dominion.

Under the windings of the sea

They lying long shall not die windily;

Twisting on racks when sinews give way,

Strapped to a wheel, yet they shall not break;

Faith in their hands shall snap in two,

And the unicorn evils run them through;

Split all ends up they shan't crack;

And death shall have no dominion.

No more may gulls cry at their ears