We Will Have War

Pansy glanced around the treasure hoard, oh how she hated it down there, in the darkness only a lite by a few torches and the shine of the jewels and gold. "Thorin, mind if I ask, why are we down here?" Pansy spoke up timidly. She could feel a cold sweat at her back as she thought about how quickly his demeanor changed down here where the dragon had rested, and she did not like the thought of being alone with him here.

"And to think you used to trust him with your life" Pansy thought, recalling all the times he had saved her hide since the journey's start. Thorin's eyes wandered over the endless gold and it had seemed he'd forgotten that Pansy was even there at all. "Thorin?" Pansy asked. He turned slowly to look back at her and nodded to the treasure. "all that is mine shall be yours, Pansy, this is why fight" he said almost ominously. Pansy frowned "I do not want it, none of it" She said with a tired sigh. Thorin turned to her quickly and looked at her confused "more gold than anyone could hope for, than anyone could fathom, Jewels and pearls and stones like silver starlight, endless wealth" Thorin rambled "and you would have none of it?" He asked confused he stepped closer to her. "yes, is that so strange? My reward from this journey was never a payment, I was never a part of the contract, the adventure itself was more to me than a thousand times more than the riches that lay down here" Pansy said with a weak little smile. Thorin squinted at her, searching her eyes and then he gave a hearty laugh.

Pansy watched him wide-eyed as he laughed, and laughed. His shoulders shook and his head thrown back. Pansy cracked an unsure smile and chuckled a bit uncomfortably. "He's gone off the deep end, it's finally happened it has!" Pansy thought as finally he quieted down. Thorin looked at the bewildered girl before him and patted her head. "you and Bilbo, your ideas of what makes a worthy prize are indeed strange" he said. "it would seem you've not change all too much, you will be the first queen to not have any cares for gold or silver" Thorin said fondly. "because of this I knew I can put much trust in you, Pansy Arkenstone" said Thorin as he removed his hand from her head. Pansy frowned a bit "do you not like your new title?" Thorin asked her. "I am, truly honored by it, but I do not think it fits me. I do not wish to be compared to the Arkenstone" she said cautiously. "and why not?" Thorin's voice took a darker tone and his gaze on her intensified. "I-" Pansy stammered "I do not want to be compared to a thing that has driven you mad with greed and causes war"Pansy thought but instead she placed on a small smile "I am not worthy of comparison to such a precious jewel" she said. Thorin's darkly clouded gaze softened a bit as he smiled a chuckled in amusement. "you are far too humble" he said turning to walk into the treasure hoard.

"Pansy!" Fili's voice called out. Pansy turned back to see Fili standing at the stair "might I have a word with you?" He asked. Pansy glanced back at Thorin who seemed not to be aware of either of them. Pansy took this as an ok to leave and headed up the steps to Fili. "come, not here" He said leading back up to the armory. "Fili? Are you alright?" she asked him. He rubbed his temples and sighed. "no," he said opening his eyes and looking at her "my brother, he is a dolt, but I have come to ask you'd not give up on him." Pansy looked away uncomfortable with where this conversation was headed. "You are, my very own sister now, I would not have you live the rest of your life under what my uncle has become" Fili said Pansy glanced at him "it is not my choice Fili" she reasoned Fili smiled a bit "it is always your choice, you give the word and Kili would follow you anywhere, you tell my uncle no and he would never force your hand" Fili said. Pansy looked back down the way they had came. "I want to help him Fili" She said. "somewhere, in there is the old Thorin. I have seen him" She added. Fili sighed heavily "I hate to say it, for I still respect my uncle greatly, however," He rested a hand on her shoulder. "There's naught left in him but greed and deceit. It's the Arkenstone he wants; it and his hoard are all he cares about, now" Fili said.