the end

"Amy?" Sarah calls me.

"What? How did you get my number?" I demand.

"You call so often that I wrote it down," she says softly.

"..."

"..."

"So what did you call for?"

"Um, I needed to tell you something," she says, nervously. She pauses before blurting out. "Kyle quit his job. A week ago."

"And you didn't tell me?" I nearly shout down the phone.

I'm so angry. She could have least told me. Spared the pain. Did something.

"I'm sorry, Amy."

"What the hell! Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I didn't want to upset you..."

"And you've made me even more upset, even more angrier! Do you know, what I felt for the past week? Actually, do you know, what I feel like every single fudging day?"

"Amy... Look, I'm sorry..."

"No. You could have told me, Sarah."

"I thought it would be better to tell you later..."

"And what has that done? Made me worse. Actually, I'll just add you to the Reasons to Die, right under 'the absence of Kyle.'"

"Amy! Please!"

"I know Kyle is there. I really really don't believe a word you said Sarah. I know you're a liar. And I just want to say something. The worst feeling is of being forgotten by someone you can't forget. He gave me a reason to live... But now he's gone... And it's been so long... I don't know why I should keep hanging in here... I'll just cut the lifeline... And end it all...."

"Amy! Please no!" Sarah pleads. "I'm sorry, just please don't. Okay? I wish I had told you before, I just..."

I hover upon the button to hang up.

"And one more thing," I say quivering. "It's.... too.... late."

"Wait!" she says. "I have something important to say!"

I press firmly down on the end call button.

I'm done.

I'm over.

This is going to be the end.