11 - Conversation on the Bookshelf and the First Fingerprint

They continued talking and I went to the bookshelf on the hallway. The Ambassador was there, so I took advantage of that and I waited for him to put the book back so I could collect his fingerprint from the book. I quickly went to the hall to grab some gloves so my fingerprints wouldn't be on the book. 

When I returned, he was putting the book back but, as soon as he noticed me, he took another book so he could talk to me. I took his book without him noticing and he asked me:

- Any top suspects?

- Not so far. The sniper suspects the French guy with the mustache but I didn't see nothing. However, it's too soon to say that someone is guilty or innocent.

- Ok. - He started putting the book back but I said to him:

- So you and Sarah are divorced. - I had no idea if the real Hugh knew about their relationship so I commented their relationship in an ambiguous way, that could be interpreted in two different ways: I didn't know and I'm surprised about them or I knew and I'm sad...

- Yeah.

- So what happened?

- Well, we both wanted different stuff. I wanted a more close relationship but she needed her space, so we both agreed that it was better if we just broke up.

- So why did you invite her to the party? - I asked, legitimatelly confused. - Doesn't this just become more awkward?

- Well, I need to be friends with her again. To be honest, I left some files in her house. So I'm just using her.

- Oh ok... Rude!

- Oh shut up! - he said. - It's really ironic that you, of all people, would call me rude... - I rolled my eyes and I asked him:

- Ok, let's change the subject... I had one question to ask you but I don't remember... Oh yeah, it came back. This is something that I never asked you but I want to know. Why me?

- Hm?

- Why me? Of all people, you chose me. And there were also better people than me, with better reputation.

- Well, I just thought we both were brave and patriotic. Beside, they might be better than you, but they don't dress better than this. - He pointed to my suit. I laughed and said:

- You raise a valid point. I'll go see if I can find anything else, ok?

- Go do that. - He said. He putted the book back and we both went our separate ways. I took the book with me so I could transfer the microfilm in some other place. I grabbed the duct tape and the fingerprint poder dust in my briefcase that was in the hall and I went to he bathroom. I locked the door and I spreaded the powder on the book. I then blew that and absorbed the powder with the duct tape.

I was feeling surprisingly well. Even though I wasn't Hugh, I felt well with the Ambassador's compliments. I knew it was all fake, but so was my person. That was all I needed. All I needed to motivate me.