Chapter 1

Dedicated to JarONutella

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"N-I-N-E Nine, T-E-N Ten!"

"Well done zee-bear!" said the five-year-old, proudly, while clapping.

I smiled sheepishly at his comment while a warm feeling crept up my face, causing a blush to settle on my cheeks.

It was the perfect day for a picnic with the sun high in the sky, heating our skin and the sound of birds happily singing as they danced above our heads.

Both of us were strolling around the park, grinning from ear to ear.

"I want to go there." I pointed towards the swing, while excitement pumped through my entire body.

"Okay zee-bear, let's go." He agreed.

I ran towards the swing and sat. He stood behind me, not saying anything.

"Give me a little push." I begged.

He nodded and gave a light push.

"I want to touch the sky!" I giggled while kicking my legs violently along with the rhythm of the swing.

"Zee-bear you'll fall!" He warned.

"Pweaseeee?" I begged, once again.

He sighed but proceeded to push a little harder. But Ethan was right; I ended up losing my balance and fell on the ground. He quickly came rushing to my side, a panicked look stretched across his face.

"Zee-bear, Are you okay? I'm so sorry." He gave me another worried look and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"I'm alright." I smiled, dusting myself off as I stood up.

"I'm sorry. I won't let you get hurt." He assured me.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

My alarm blared, bringing me back from my bitter sweet memory.

I woke up with tears falling down my face and a heavy pounding in the back of my head. One glance at the clock showed it was 7:45am. Sighing, I got out of my bed and decided to have a long, hot shower. I went in and stripped, welcoming the slight feeling of relief that came with doing so. I turned on the tap, which released the water droplets and closed my eyes, enjoying the soothing sensation created by the water hitting my body.

After cleaning myself up, I turned the tap off and grabbed a towel from the nearby shelf. Clutching it closer to my body, I left the bathroom and headed towards my closet. I chose plain blue jeans and a cute long sleeve top. I checked the time; it was 8:30am. Feeling ready for some breakfast, I walked out of my room and wandered into the kitchen. Grabbing the yoghourt from the refrigerator and settling down on the stool nearby, I checked my social media accounts while eating.

After finishing, I threw the empty packet in the bin and grabbed my car keys. I locked my apartment door and hopped in my car, heading to work.

It took fifteen minutes in total for me to reach the diner. It's owned by a man in his fifties named Matt who, in my opinion, is amazing. He treats his workers as his own children and I respected him for that. The diner has two chefs, including me, two waitresses- Bella and Judy and a cashier- Ryan. Initially, there were three chefs but Margaret got pregnant, so she left. Now it's only me and Bob in the kitchen and honestly; I love it. We were all like a small family here.