Chapter 8

Dedicated to letsgetinformation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The drive to the diner was extremely disturbing. My mind kept wandering back to my apartment, and the person who was temporarily staying at my place.

Calm down, he isn't a burglar. My heart tried reassuring me.

However, a drug addict is capable of turning into a burglar at any time. The voice pointed out the obvious.

You haven't seen him hitting any sort of drug so far. My heart argued.

My brain was right. An addict is capable of doing anything. And by anything, I mean stealing, kidnapping, murder- anything.

My apartment seemed like a mess. Everything around was scattered. I heard a scattering of things coming from my room so I grabbed a vase and walked into my room, thinking someone broke into my house.

I reached my room and saw a figure throwing things from my closet. His back was facing me. I wanted to hit him but stopped abruptly when I recognized the figure.

It was Ethan.

He was looking for something. I opened my mouth to ask him but then, I saw him stuffing something into his back pocket. I rushed to the kitchen and hid. I heard footsteps coming out of the room. I saw his shadow walking into the living area. I caught a glimpse of him. He seemed vulnerable. His eyes were bloodshot. It ached my heart to see him in such a horrible condition.

A tear escaped my eyes. I quickly turned my gaze and felt the footsteps fading. I heard the front door slam.

I ran back to my room, praying that he didn't steal my savings. I opened the door to my closet and found the box empty.

He stole all of my savings.

Why, Ethan? Why?

Screech!

I hit the brake when I saw a lady crossing the road. She looked at me with anger. I mouthed 'I'm sorry before continuing the drive to the diner -without killing anyone.

"What's wrong?" Bob asked me once I entered the kitchen. 

"Nothing. It's just...never mind." I didn't want to talk.

"You don't like fine, Zee."

I sighed and decided to tell him the whole story. There's no point in lying to Bob. He's like my elder brother. I started my story from the time when Zach came to the diner. Throughout the story, he was listening with full attention.

"So that was all..." I finished.

"Hmm... Zelsa, he reminds you of Ethan, doesn't he?" He asked.

"He does," I admitted.

He reminds me of Ethan, a lot. Ethan and Zach have one major thing in common- drugs, which is why I'm inclined on helping Zach. I've seen Ethan ruining his perfect life with his own hands. I don't want that to happen to Zach or anyone else. Once you hit the drugs, then you're into it. You become their slave. You can't stand a day or a moment without them. The kind of euphoria they give you is can't be compared with anything else in the world, but everything comes with a price. To gain this euphoria, you have gotta pay by dying a little every day.

That day, Ethan stole the money from my closet because he wanted to get this stash. He did that time and again. No matter where I hide my savings, he would find them. He died every day to live with euphoria, and with him; I died every single day. Seeing him crave those drugs was like stabbing yourself repeatedly. I became helpless because, even after going to rehab, he didn't change a bit. After getting released from rehab, he didn't do anything, but later he started consuming alcohol, and the day finally came when he started smoking crack and injected cocaine. I couldn't bear the sight of him craving more and more drugs every day.

Bob pulled me into a hug as I buried my face and cried.

"Shh! It's gonna be fine. It's all in the past now." Bob cooed.

"I-I-I miss him s-so much-h. It's all my fault. I-I could've s-saved him-m." I choked as tears made their way down my cheeks.

"You can't change the past, can you?" I shook my head.

Several minutes passed, I was still in Bob's arms. I pulled myself and wiped my tears. Bob handed me a glass of water and I chugged it down before thanking him.

The day passed quickly since I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings. I felt tired, but it was only 6.

"Zee, I think you should go home and take some rest."

"No. I'm fine." I lied.

"Just go. Don't worry, I'll cover it up for you." He smiled.

"Thank you, Bob." I smiled weakly.

I left the diner from the back door. The engine ignited, and I drove back to my apartment. After parking my car, I made my way home. I pulled out my key and inserted it into the lock. I unlocked and entered my house. I couldn't find Zach in the living area.

He must have left.

Then I saw; Ethan's room seemed locked. I walked and turned the doorknob. I froze in my place when I saw the same horrifying thing which I saw two years ago.

"Ethan, no!"

By the time, I could rephrase my sentence, he was already looking at me with anger in his eyes. 

"Give it back!" He ordered.

"No!" I shouted.

"I said, give it back!" He yelled as he tried to grab the syringe from my hand, but failed.

"No, I'm not letting you do this," I yelled back while the tears escaped my eyes.

His eyes softened. "Hey, don't cry. I'm sorry."

I wiped my tears and said, "It's fine."

I rose from my spot and walked back to my room. I shut my door and cried.

This is so painful.

Zach reminds me of you, Ethan.

I miss you.

I wish you were here.

I miss you so much.

I heard a small knock at the door. I stood up to open it when Zach said, "I'm kinda hungry."

Idiot.

"Coming." My voice sounded raspy.

I washed my face and changed my clothes. When I entered the living room, I saw Zach watching T.V. I made my way to the kitchen and wiped up some food for both of us. 

I was munching my food silently when he decided to speak. "Who is Ethan."

I almost choked. "No one," I answered.

"Liar." He stated, while his gaze was glued to the T.V screen.

"It is none of your concern." I hissed and ran into the kitchen, suddenly feeling full. 

I rushed into my room so that he doesn't get the chance to ask me anything. I switched the lights off and clutched my pillow to my chest.

I miss you so fucking much.