2

The moon was bright; I couldn't sleep. It was low in the sky, piercing into my familia's cave and through my eyes.

I had to go for a walk. Delta, Horizon and Hare were still fast asleep. I didn't understand how they could sleep with the blazing brand of fire in the sky.

I stretched out into the moonlight. It was fresh and cool. The stars squirmed a bit, unable to get into the perfect position to sleep in. I empathized them. A spark of red jumped slowly across the sky.

I pushed my rear up and backwards and my chest towards the ground till I felt my back release. Tension was building in it during the night. It felt good to be awake, especially while the sun was sleeping.

I climbed over the hollow's wall and walked towards the north. Every stone and weed looked bright. My hips popped and my shoulders ached.

I walked for a long time, but I never got tired. I started running. I ran faster and farther as the landscape rushed passed me. Soon enough I was going so fast I didn't have time to walk around bushes; I simply flew over them. I didn't stop running till I tripped on a stick and fell on my face. Sand rushed up to say hello.

"Ouch," I muttered. The stick had cut my shoulder and the stone beneath the sand had cut my jaw. I tasted blood, but I wasn't hurt too bad.

While my face was in the sand, I noticed a set of coyote paw prints.

I stood up and examined them. They were very fresh; they could have been made within the hour. Hawk's scent lingered on the sage brush. I could smell curiosity and a bit of fear.

"What are you doing out here, Hawk?" I muttered to myself. He was probably just out for a walk, but night time strolls didn't usually invest fear if nothing was wrong.

I followed the paw prints. There was no sign of a struggle, but it did look like he was stalking something.

The prints went behind a large rock, then up a small butte. I could hear voices very faintly now.

I followed the tracks up the butte. Finding paw-holds was difficult; everywhere was sandy. I slipped once and lost my grip, but thank goodness a bush was there to catch my fall.

The top was mostly flat except for a dip in the stone and a rock formation. Hawk was there with another coyote I didn't recognize.

"You shouldn't be here, Snake." Hawk said.

"Who says? I was never banished from this part of the Sonoran Desert." The other Coyote said. His accent was like Hawk's; slightly scratchy and rough.

As quietly as I could, I slithered over the sand and hid behind the land formation. I positioned myself in an arch so they couldn't see me but I could see them. I was right next to the other coyote; he had a light red pelt flecked with gray, like Hawk's but lighter. His eyes were slightly orange and his ribs poked out.

"You shouldn't be around my tribe."

"I didn't know you had found a new tribe and became chief of it till a few weeks ago. Where has the time gone, brother? It felt like yesterday we were all together as a family in the Estrella tribe."

"We're not family, Snake. You gave that up when you betrayed us." Hawk growled.

"Betrayal? I never betrayed you! What father sentenced me was unjust-"

"You know what you did!" Hawk barked. "You're a monster."

"That's a bit harsh," the coyote hissed. "I've forgiven you for what you did. I hoped you could forgive me."