9

For once, Sarah was silent. She wanted to talk, but not to me. She was angry at me for leaving my tribe to the Fuegos.

I was angry at myself as well. But leaving was the best action; I wouldn't have made things any better. If the Guerro did exist, it was my job to find them and make things right.

We walked for a long time. I enjoyed the silence, but I felt guilty about making Sarah upset.

Should I talk to her? I wondered. Or would that make her more angry?

I glanced back at her for a second. She looked up from the ground, scowling at me. Perhaps talking wasn't a great idea.

I looked away quickly, feeling a little embarrassed.

"I don't have anything to say to you right now, I'm still mad." Saguaro growled.

"I'm aware." I said.

"But I understand you, after thinking about it. I know why you couldn't help, but I'm still mad."

I nodded.

"Quick thinking, getting out of there. I noticed that pretty coyote glance at you, she looked quite distraught. Is she mad at you too?"

"I hope not." I whispered.

"I can't hear you when you mumble!" Saguaro said, enunciating her words.

"I said I hope not," I barked, turning around. Sarah's golden eyes looked surprised.

It was quiet again until Saguaro spoke up. "Is that coyote . . . special to you?"

"Why do you ask?" I said without turning around.

"Well if you don't want to talk about it, then I won't ask. I'm not curious at all." Sarah said.

I sighed. "Well, I, um, I kind of . . . like, sort of . . . like her. But, um, yeah."

"Ohhhhhh. I see. You're in love with her." Saguaro hummed.

"No! Well, truthfully, yeah, but you can't bug me about it. Or else I'll rip your big ears off your head." I warned.

"Alright! I won't!" Sarah giggled. "But what's her name? Will you tell me that?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"You'll torment me."

"I'll do that anyways."

I sighed. "Fine. Her name is Sego."

"Ohhh like the flower? That's a pretty name. Her fur is almost the color of one."

"I suppose." I hummed.

"Why is she mad? Or maybe she's not mad. Maybe just confused." Saguaro inquired.

I huffed. "Oh, she's pretty mad. It's that shape shifter's fault. When I accused him of being an imposter, he accused me of playing with the chief's daughter, Sego, to eventually become the leader."

"Oh. Ouch."

"No kidding. I don't even want to talk to most of them, let alone lead their tribe." I said. "And I can't even get near Sego, with her mother hovering around day and night! How would I do something to her?"

She giggled. It sounded like a bird that just got stepped on.

"You really care about her, don't you?" Saguaro asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. More than I've ever cared about anyone."

"You aren't doing this for your tribe. You're doing it for Sego."