24

The setting sun cried with us. Instead of casting painful rays of light, it turned into a soft pink, glowing through the western sky behind us. It began to drizzle, soothing the earth and the mourning coyotes on it.

I felt sick to my core. Everything hurt. Sego walked with me, but she was quiet. She cried with me, but I don't think she understood. She knew I cared about Sarah, but she hadn't known her. No one had . . . no one besides me her flock.

I worried about her family for a split second, then I remembered. Her brother had left her. They didn't care about Sarah.

We finally reached the camp. I hoped that a feeling of relief would flow over me when I saw the camp, but I didn't. It didn't feel like the home I was waiting for.

"Finally home," Bat breathed, leaning against her mate. "And just in time."

Negrita looked at her, excitement and worry plastered across his face. "Is it time? Are they coming? Are you okay, can you walk?" He rambled.

Bat winced. "Just get me to a cave . . . I think they are."

"Oh, quickly dears! Let's go!" Hare yipped, sliding into the hollow as quick as she could. Negrita gently put Bat on his shoulders, then followed Hare.

"Guerro, if you'd like to stay for the night, we'd be delighted to have you. It's a long way back to Noo Meksiko." Horizon said as he slid down into the hollow.

"Actually, we live in Kolorato now. And if you don't mind, that would be delightful, um . . ." Mountain replied.

"Horizon."

"Yes, thank you, Horizon. And we can help catch a meal in the morning."

"Sounds good." Horizon replied.

We settled down almost immediately, feeling exhausted from the days. We offered to let the Guerro stay in the dens, but they wouldn't allow it. We didn't want to sleep by ourselves either, so everyone just found a spot to lie down on the sand next to the river.

I laid with Sego. Being so close to her would have made me tingle with excitement a few days ago, but all I could feel was sadness for the loss of Sarah and Verde. I was glad to be with her though, finally safe. At least for now.

"I'm glad that Shifter's gone." Sego said wearily. "He was horrible."

"He is horrible." I growled. "But he isn't gone. He'll be back for his revenge."

She nodded. I could tell she was upset and angry, but she hid it.

"Sego?" I said.

"Yes?" She looked up at me. Her dandelion eyes were tired, but still beautiful . . .

"I . . . I promise that I'll stop him. Forever. And any other monster that tries to hurt us again." I said resolutely.

She smiled sadly. "Astor, you can't do that. It's impossible."

"No." I said. "I'll learn how to stop them. Then I'll find the Shifter's name, and kill him, once and for all. I promise."

She nuzzled into my chest, then sniffled. "Alright. I believe you."

I rested my head on her, listening to the rise and fall of her chest, not sure if she really believed me.

<——-•••——->

Morning came. We weren't awaken by the sun, but by Negrita's yips of excitement.

He bounded into the camp, running around and yelling "IM A FATHER IM A FATHER IM A FATHER!"