14

I could stand up comfortably; my ears didn't even touch the ceiling, but my flanks brushed the walls of the tunnel. I wondered how the large golden coyote would fit through.

The tunnel branched out in many directions, but we didn't take any of the alternate routes. I expected the bronze coyote to take many complicated twists and turns, but he stayed straight.

The square tunnel opened up to a large air pocket. A splash of rain and light trickled through a hole in the ceiling, illuminating a spot on the floor, like the full moon in a sky of darkness. The corners of the room were shaded, but I could tell there was a murmer of movement and noise. Coyotes were conversing softly, young pups were yawning, yearlings were wrestling anxiously and elders were mumbling. As my eyes adjusted to the gray light, I could see the scenes that my ears heard. All of them were larger and more athletic than the average coyote, but their deep rib cages poked out and their green eyes were glazed with worry.

"Welcome to our camp." The yellow female said somberly. "My name is Sky, and this is our chief, Verde of Noo Meksiko."

"Nice to meet you." I muttered. "You already know me, but I'm Astor of . . . I'm not sure where. But I'm from Kolorato."

Sarah giggled next to me. Sky and Verde sat down with us near the entrance while the other four Guerros went back to their work. I noticed the large golden coyote sit down by a pretty female, probably his mate, then gently nuzzled the three pups by her belly.

As I examined the room, still standing, I got a sense of melancholy and sorrow from the coyotes. Their darkened glances made me nervous. Weren't they the Guerro, the strong and courageous warriors of the Sonoran Desert? Wouldn't they save my tribe?

Verde answered my unspoken question. "We have been reduced to very little since we left our home. We do what we can here, but food is scarce around the Eyeseffendee."

"Eyeseffendee? isn't that the dark road built by humans?" I asked. Were we really that close to it? Had my vision been real?

"I think it's pronounced I-70," Sarah started, but Verde cut her off.

"Yes. The fumes from the great monsters poison the sky above them, leaving the earth around the road hot and barren. Most natural animals stay away from the road."

"Natural animals . . . ?" I mumbled.

"Animals that the earth and sky give life to. The unnatural animals are demons; evil spirits that come from dark places. They tend to . . . linger close to the road." Verde said.

"Why would any animal, natural or not, choose to be by that road?" Sarah asked.

"Because it brings unnatural deaths and sorrows. Sorrows from the humans." Sky answered.

"Oh." Sarah muttered, lowering her head.

I didn't understand anything about demons or dark places, but I could understand how those humans felt.

"You didn't come to hear of our struggles though, did you?" Verde looked down at me.

"Ugh-" I cleared my throat, "um, no, not really. I mean, it sucks that you don't have prey, and-"

"We don't need your pity, Astor." Sky said calmly.

"S-sorry."

"Saguaro has told us of your plight. The Shifter has murdered your leader, and now seeks to murder your tribe." Verde said evenly.

I didn't understand how he could be so calm about any of this. "Yes, sir." I said.

"And you think we can help you."