Chapter 7

“Are you kidding me?” Sugar shouted and Bob laughed.

I glanced at Kobra and caught his eye. Moving turtle slow, I grasped my gun and shot Korse in the leg. He swore and released Kobra, who ran over to me.

“Nice to see you again, bib sister,” came a twelve year old boy’s voice.

“Jesse,” I hissed and stared at my little brother as he smirked at me.

“That’s Jesse?” piped up Graces’ voice and she appeared, an old pilot’s hat on her head, covering most of her overly curly hair.

“Who are you?” he spat.

“The good twin,” she spat back and Jesse glared at her.  

“Enough,” Bob shouted and a spark of fear flashed across Jesses’ face.

Bob handed the twelve year old a ray and nodded to Grace.

“Kill her,” he said but Jesse didn’t shoot her.

No, she shot Jesse’s hand, which made him drop the gun and double over, screaming in pain.

“Now you know how I felt when you shot my hand,” Mikey glowered.

I glanced around, looking for any sort of an escape. A bunch of pipes caught my eye and I stared at them. They looked like the ones that hold steam in them. Flicking my eyes back to the bad guys, I saw that they weren’t looking this way and I shot the pipes, steam filling the room.

“Grab the others and let’s book it,” I shouted and heard the sound of fading feet.

I ran out of the room to find everyone but Solar Shark was outside. Turning back around, I saw Kobra walking out, with his arm around Solars’ waist, holding him up as he limped. Just as they got to us, ray bullets were flying of the room and narrowly missing us. Poison ran over to help Kobra put Solar into the car. The others followed but I stayed where I was. Something was telling me to stay and let the others get away.

“T.J,” shouted Kobra and I glanced at him, a small smile on my face.

“Goodbye Kobra,” I whispered and stared back at the door.

Taking a deep breath, I started firing into the door and smiled at Dracs started running out. I turned on my heels and ran for my life. I raced through Battery City and ducked into an alleyway. My transmitter buzzed and Kobra voice ran through.

“Where the hell are you Static, over?” he said and I put the transmitter to my mouth.

“I’m so sorry you guys,” I said, “but I need to do this. I love you all but this is the right thing. I’ll lead them back to the Industry and blow the thing up, with every single Drac and Korse inside, giving you guys time to get back to the desert. Mum, Dad, Oscar, Grace, this is what I have to do and I’m doing this because it’s my place to. I know you haven’t known me long but I am grateful to have such a wonderful biological family. Emily, Savanna, Kelsey, I know I have only met you girls but you are awesome Killjoys. Please look after everyone for me. Gee, Frank, please tell Jamia, Cherry, Lilly and Bandit that they are the best and to never give up when things are looking down. You two have been like brothers to me, so thank you. And Mikey. I love you so much and wish that there was another way to end this war but there isn’t. Babe, please just keep on going. Do it now and do it loud. I’ll always be there with each of you. I’m sorry, please forgive me, over.”

“T.J. please don’t do this, I love you. Please do-”

A single tear slid down my cheek and I turned my transmitter off, interrupting what Mikey way saying. Sneaking out of the alleyway, I raced back to my old home and dialled Korses’ number.