Chapter 10 / / Fires and Abductions

It's been two days. And there was still no sign of attack from the grounders. The camp was growing weary and anxious about the impending attack. It was like the calm before a storm, the way the camp was preparing in the quiet for the bloodbath that was soon to come.

Annalia was in the smoke house with Octavia, Murphy, and another guy preparing the food. Annalia wiped some sweat off her forehead, hanging up a large piece of meat. She heard a noise behind her, and saw the boy throwing a log into the already large fire.

"You don't want the fire too big." Octavia called to him.

"So maybe just try and knock it down with some wet leaves." Annalia told him.

"You get that from your boyfriend, Grounder pounder?" He asked, directing it towards Octavia.

Annalia rolled her eyes and turned around to look at him. She glared at him, angry that he would say something like that to Octavia, who was only trying to help.

Octavia had long since apologized for her accusations; the girls now like two peas in a pod.

"No, its called common sense, idiot." Annalia sneered, turning around to hang up more meat.

"She's right; the hot fire isn't going to preserve the meat as well." Murphy cut in before the boy could say anything to Annalia.

"You can't take the heat; get out of the smoke house. You should be kissing our asses for even being let back into camp. Just keep working." The boy snapped before leaving.

"Bellamy couldn't get you two a better job?" Murphy asked, wondering why they were in the smoke house. "I would think anything would be better than working in the meat furnace."

"Oh, probably. That just means someone else would have to do it." Octavia replied.

"It's not going to be much of a smoke house with all that wood in the fire, it'll be a pile of ashes on the ground at this rate." Annalia pointed out, cutting a rather large piece of meat into two with Octavia's help.

Annalia was, in fact, right. Not even an hour later, Murphy was shoving her and Octavia out the door of the smoke house as the fire got too large and lit the damn roof on fire.

Annalia and Octavia sit side by side on the ground, coughing from the smoke, as the camp panicked and rushed to try put the fire out.

"You guys okay?" Bellamy asked the two girls, who merely nodded in response.

"This is all your fault." Murphy growled out, rushing towards the boy from earlier and shoving him. "We told you that it was too much wood!"

"Get the hell off of me!" The boy shouted, shoving Murphy off of him.

"Hey, stop!" Bellamy shouted, getting in between the two fighting boys. "Save it for the grounders."

"Bell now what the hell are we going to do?" Octavia asked, looking at the burning building.

"That was all the food!" Annalia exclaimed, worried about the dwindling food supply.

About thirty minutes later, the building was, just like Annalia stated earlier, a pile of ashes on the ground. Annalia stood from the drop ship ramp, watching as Bellamy and Clarke conversed, looking at the wreckage. They devised a plan, sending out hunting parties. Which, Annalia thought was risky, but it was a risk they had to take to ensure that they didn't starve.

"Each group takes a person with a gun. They are for killing grounders, not food. We don't have the ammo. Use the spears for hunting, get what you can and be back by nightfall. No one stays out after dark." Bellamy commanded.