Part 17

Ember's P.O.V

I woke up in hospital the following day with a million unanswered questions. So many people came to visit throughout the day and they wouldn't tell me anything I wanted to know.

Even Jeremy was mute. Something was wrong. They all looked too sad and guilty.

"Miss Quinn, you may now walk around." Doctor Bostwick told me after a few hours.

I'd heard that Zack, Kellin and Kevin were also in hospital. They were all near to me.

The only thing I truly wanted to know was why Kellin had done that to me and what would become of him now. Though...no matter what he'd done...I could never hate him. I was just extremely disappointed and concerned. I still loved him as much as before.

I saw Zack first. He looked pitiful. He had various wounds on his chest and he lay still. Too still. He was asleep, so I left him to find Kevin.

Jeremy was with him, as well as another woman. I had no idea who she was. Why was Jeremy with her?

"Ember?" Jeremy questioned my arrival.

I smiled.  "I'm allowed to walk around now."

"Oh, thank god! At least I know someone is safe..." he got up and hugged me tightly.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He let me go, grief flashing in his eyes as he looked down at Kevin. All sorts of wires were sticking out of the guitarist and he was even more still than Zack. "What's wrong with him?"

"He...he's been put on life support."

I gasped. "N-no!" I clenched my fists and tears fell down my face.

"He lost a lot of blood." The woman sighed softly. I opened my eyes to look at her.

She looked so much like Jeremy. The same nose, lips, face shape...and their eyes were exactly the same colour. They even had the same dark brown, light smooth hair.

"Ember, I'd like you to meet Cheri. She's my sister."

"Your sister?"

"She saved your life last night."

"Wow...wait, is she the one who ran away years ago?"

"I am." Cheri nodded. "But I'm here, and you're alive, and that's all that matters." she said firmly. She even had a female version of Jeremy's voice. God. Me and Kellin weren't even this alike.

Kellin and I shared the same hair and nose, but my face was broader than his and his lips were more plump. My eyes were more of a unique reddy orange and his were sky blue, but sometimes they changed to pale green or turquoise. We had the same ears as well, and you could tell we were related, but we certainly had our differences.

"I will be here throughout your recovery," Cheri assured me, breaking through my thoughts. Before I could reply, Vic came up, teary eyed.

"Okay, I really wanna know what's happened to Kellin... Can you tell me now?"

Vic opened his mouth to speak, but Jeremy interrupted him. "I'll tell you later."

I sighed and sat down next to him, and Vic sat next to me. I stared at Kevin in silence. He looked so...small and still. It just wasn't right.

I jumped at the sound of a sudden, rapid beeping noise coming from a machine near Kevin.

"What's going on?" I blurted as doctors and nurses rushed over.

They met my question with grim expressions, but no reply.

After a minute of examination of Kevin, the doctors shooed us out of the way and started pushing his bed down the corridor.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked firmly as tears fell.

"His heart rate had slowed dramatically. We must help him. He needs defibrillation," Doctor Bostwick explained.

"No!" I wailed, clutching on to Jeremy while we ran.

When Kevin was in the surgery part,  all we could do was stand and look through a glass window and watch the doctors work.

As they began the defibrillation I started to howl uncontrollably. I couldn't lose Kevin. I needed him. His band needed him. His fans needed him...

Jeremy held me tightly and told me everything was alright, but I could feel his tears falling onto my hair. This was his band brother, whom he'd experienced a lot with. Kevin hadn't been in the band for long, but it felt like he was just as much of a part of it as anyone else.

Cheri and Vic just watched in a solemn and respectful silence.

After about half an hour a doctor came out. I looked at him hopefully, but the grim expression on his face told me all I needed to know.

He led me and Jeremy into the room to see my best friend. I had no idea how I could say anything to him before he left us.