chapter eleven

| sometimes quiet is violent |

it's getting worse. the worse it gets, the more people tell him he's getting better, even though two therapy sessions a week has increased to three. which doesn't make sense at all- if he's improving, why does he need more?

josh comes over more often, almost every day, but he talks less. he also smiles less, looks at tyler less.

the pink in his hair is fading back to natural. tyler suggests that he should dye it again, to which josh shrugs.

his eyes are duller, he seems thinner, and he never smiles- god, if tyler could just get him to smile-

usually, they sit on the bed or on the floor facing each other but never really making eye contact.

what's changed? tyler wants to ask, but the words hang silent and empty on his chapped lips and never make it out.

what's changed? tyler doesn't understand josh's resentment, josh's hatred for his parents. he doesn't understand, but he never does.

"why do you hate them so much?" tyler asks one day, breaking apart a long stretch of thick, heavy silence. it's summer and the day is hot and slow, but tyler's window is shut and locked.

josh knows what he's referring to without looking up. "you change when you take them."

tyler groans. "is that all its about?"

josh does look at him then. to tyler's surprise, his face is creased with melancholy instead of the usual frustration.

"no," he finally says. "it's about everything else, too."