Chapter 4

This happened two days after I made a friendship pact with Izaya. 

Just when we were taking our shoes from the locker and returning the slippers, a glassed guy suddenly came approaching us with heavy panting, as if he just ran around the school. He calmed his breath first by resting his hands on his knees before started talking, "Orihara-kun, why did you leave so soon? I still need to talk to you about the club, but you had disappeared all of a sudden!"

Izaya as usual just looked at him through his squinted eyes. "I thought you spoked enough."

"But you still haven't given me your answer yet!"

Probably something out of my business. Though we declared ourselves as a friend, I still haven't known much about Izaya. There were some things that he hid from me. I quietly closed my shoe locker and headed outside. I might bother them by just standing nearby so I decided to wait on the outside. Just as I wanted to step forward-

"Ah, you! You're Izaya's friend, aren't you?" The guy halted me right away, "Can you help me begging him to join the biology club?"

"Eh?" I blinked in speechlessness.

"Oh! How about you join the club as well? The more people, the merrier it will be!"

The situation suddenly changed in the speed of light. I was stunned as he didn't give me a chance to talk and just suddenly invited me into his club. First of all, who is this guy? Do I know him? Is it okay to ask a stranger? 

Suddenly, a realization hit me. As far as I could remember, Izaya said something about being offered by someone to a club and got interested in him. Maybe that was the same guy he was talking about yesterday?

I looked at Izaya, then back to the stranger with his goofy smile and rounded glasses just like me (except his was smaller than mine a bit). Strange, for some reason he didn't give an uncomfortable feeling that I usually had whenever I was with a stranger. Maybe because of his wide smile, or because of his two big bright eyes like Azami's? My lips trembled, noticing that he was waiting for my answer.

"I-I'm with him." I pointed to Izaya as I lowered down my sights to the floor.

"Well?" The guy moved his eyes to Izaya, still anticipating. Izaya sighed deeply. 

"I'll give you the answer later." Izaya left both of us and walked to the door. I bowed mannerly to the guy before I caught after him. I could feel the guy's stares on me, probably felt disappointed for not receiving an answer again.

After making sure that we had been far from the mysterious guy, I adjusted my pace as Izaya's and whispered at him, "Why don't you just tell him that you're not interested in his club rather than making him waiting again?"

Izaya kept his habits to me. He didn't reply to my question, as if my voice was just a passing wind to his ears. I pressed my lips together, stopping the conversation abruptly.

Soon after, Izaya spoke out, "Let me ask you something. Can you gather information about him for me?"

"Him? You mean the guy earlier?" I frowned. "But, I don't know how to collect information. I can't talk to people let alone investigate him. I'm not sure if I can read through his records in the archive room."

Izaya sighed. "I know you're gonna be useless." He muttered though I heard it clearly.

"Sorry for being a useless person," I said sarcastically, although I had acknowledged myself as a useless person that wasn't worth enough to live on this planet. "But, at least I can be your ears."

"What do you mean?"

"I may not be able to help you that much, but at least I can be a good listener in case you want to talk about something, whatever it is. You can say, that's the part of me that I can be proud of." I added the last sentence with a small voice.