Chapter 21

"Hm? I thought you were with Izaya."

My eyes glanced to my right, but my face was still facing the window. I straightened up my back and put both my hands on the top of the shelf. I huffed.

"He has something to do so he can't go home with me for days," I repeated. Shinra just nodded as he leant on the shelf, standing beside me. I pressed both sides of my cheek with my palms. 

"Say, Shinra, what does someone mean by don't fall for him?" 

Shinra turned his head to me. He looked surprised. "Wow, Keiko, you were dumped?"

"What? No!" I quickly denied though I was thinking the same thing three days ago on the same day Izaya told me his ambiguous words. I spent my sleep times just to think of its meaning.

"Isn't it clear? He doesn't want you to like him." As always, Shinra put on his usual wide smile. I smiled bitterly.

"I don't even think about it." I sighed heavily. Why did he say about feeling out of sudden? I was completely deep thinking that I didn't realise someone entered in the science laboratory. His strong voice woke me up eventually. 

"Shinra, I need your notebook for the quiz." 

Shinra let out a deep sigh. He spun around. "For God's sake, if you rip off my book once again, I won't borrow them to you."

"I won't." Shizuo seemed to notice my presence. I could hear his footsteps coming to my way. After they stopped, I glanced at the figure standing beside me. Shizuo stood on the same spot as Shinra before since the other boy left to find his notebook from his backpack. 

"You're not with that flea anymore?" He asked. I nearly burst out laughing.

"Is that a new nickname for him?" I asked back. 

He nodded, "It's perfect for that bastard." 

It's so funny how he gave him a nickname of the animal that I don't like the most. I hate fleas, though. They're small and they can roam on your body. They even suck your blood. I giggled. 

I spotted a light blush on Shizuo's cheeks as he quickly turned his head away from me, facing to another direction. Why did he avoid my eyes? 

"Here." Shinra came with a notebook. "Honestly Shizuo, you need to stop ripping someone's notebook. It's tiring to buy a new one and rewrite the whole thing."

"Sorry." Shizuo casually took the notebook. "By the way, Keiko, you'll stay here?"

I nodded. "What's wrong?"

"It's been a long time since we went home together. So..." Shizuo's eyes were staring at me awkwardly. I smiled.

"I want to." I grinned. "I miss walking home with you."

I didn't know what possessed Shizuo but his face kept getting red. Did he get a fever?

Izaya disappeared after he said something strange yesterday. After he told me that, he walked out from me and didn't speak a word again, until several minutes he started to make a random topic that I didn't quite listen because I was too busy thinking about his words.

He didn't show up at school after that. And it's been three days.  Appreciate that, Izaya.

"Keiko, why is your face turning red?" Shinra waved his hand in front of my face, waking me up. I blinked twice.

"No-Nothing."

And then, I left the room with them and headed downstairs. The silence from the building made me realise that most students had gone home. After saying goodbye to Shinra who had already been picked up, Shizuo and I started to walk to our way. I glanced at the blond beside me. Shizuo had a different vibe than Izaya. When I stood beside him, I could feel his aura vibrating to me. But, I didn't feel my heart beating fast when walking beside him rather than Izaya. I became messed up whenever I was with Izaya.