Chapter Eight

Eight – Jack

No matter how much I wanted to protect Lucy, I could not risk watching her from the darkness of the forest. It was dangerous. If Boss or any of my brothers were to find me there, they would kill me on sight—not that I was afraid of death, but if I died, Lucy would not have anyone to keep her away from danger. There was only one way that I could protect her without me being around her. My Hellhound, Sniper. I named it after the gun, as he was dangerous like one…perhaps even more. I looked beside me. He stood tall and proudly, staring into the distance.

                “Watch.” I commanded him.

                He snorted and bolted with a trail of fire trailing after him, towards Lucy’s home. I was slightly reluctant to send him. If my brothers were to kill him, they would know that I am still paranoid about Lucy’s death, and they will try harder to kill her. I took a deep breath in. At least I could rely on Sniper. Whoever he saw as a threat to Lucy, he would kill them, though he still had the problem of not knowing when to stop. At ;east she would be safe. That was all my concern.

                “Jack.”

                I turned at the sudden, soft voice. My surprise was quickly shifted into anger.

                “What are you doing here, Angela?” I said, facing her.

                She looked somewhat…different. Like something had changed within her. She looked tired and confused.

                “Um…” Tears were swelling in her eyes. “I…I thought I would come to find you.”

                “Why?” I shot another question at her.

                She lifted her shoulders. “I don’t know why…but I seem…I am...” She sighed and rubbed her hand through her darker than black hair. “I’m…I feel…”

                “What do you want to say, Angela?” I was getting impatient. “Spit it out!”

                “I’m so drawn to you.” She whispered. “I don’t know why…but…I have such…strong feelings for you. But…me and Pete…”

                I stood against her and placed my hand lightly on her jaw, spreading my fingers out to her neck. Lowering my head to her ear, I whispered, “You are the love of Pete. I can’t forgive that.” 

                She wrapped her arms around my waist. “I’m not asking for your forgiveness, Jack.” She said calmly—more calmly that I’ve ever heard her. “I’m just…confused with my feelings for Pete and you. I’m torn between you two.”

                I stood up straight. “I can’t deny, that I loved you once.”

                “Once…” She echoed. She rested her hands on my chest and pressed her head on my collar bone. I dropped my arms so they hung loosely at my sides.

                “Yes.” I replied, staring straight. “Once.”

                “Jack,”

                “What?”

                “Have I ever told you that I’m a whore?” She asked, her voice breaking slightly, as she fought to keep her tears from falling.

                “You haven’t told me before.” I muttered. “But won’t deny that I’ve thought it.”

                She sniffed. “You should think it, ‘cause I am. It’s just…I’m so confused with who I love.” She shook her head a little and looked up at my face. I kept my eyes straight ahead.