Chapter Fourteen

Fourteen – Lucy

After dinner, I went up to my bedroom and sat on the bed, staring out the window. Something just didn’t seem right. Well, besides the bad events if the day, but something else just seemed…missing. I put my hand down on the bed and thought about what was missing. I scrunched up some of the duvet covers on my hand and then released it. What was missing? I closed my eyes and thought hard. Thinking…thinking…thinking…I gasped and my eyes shot open. Emma! She wasn’t here. I stood up quickly and hurried out of my room and downstairs. Mum was in the kitchen and I ran to her.

                “Mum, where’s Emma?” I asked, urgently.

                She frowned a little and glanced out the kitchen window. “Oh, Luce, I’m afraid that Emma went out into the forest a few days ago and she hasn’t returned. I would have thought that you would have known that.”

                “I can’t believe I forgot about my own cat!” I moaned. “That’s two pets I’ve lost…” Though one was Jack in a dog form.

                “Oh, don’t worry, Lucy.” Mum reassured me. “We can go get another cat for you. Perhaps a baby one?”

                I shook my head. “No, it’s okay. I’d probably just lose that one too.”

                Before Mum could say anything else, I went up to my room and shut the door. I slipped into my pyjamas and got ready for bed. I tied my hair up and threw myself down on the bed and sighed. I wasn’t looking forward to Monday. I didn’t want to face my so called ‘friends’. They were all scared of me…or probably pretending to be scared of me. I groaned and got under the covers and switched of my lamp and closed my eyes. I was so exhausted. I just wanted sleep to come quickly so I could get next week over and done with.

I was awoken by little drops of water. My opened my eyes and looked up. My heart sank deeply when I found myself back in the red and black forest.

                “Oh, God, no…” I whispered. “Please…”

                Irritation swept over me. Why did I keep coming here? The last time I was here, I was bitten by some perv. I got up and glanced around me. It was raining and I was soaking wet and freezing. I sniffed and hugged myself for little warmth. Suddenly, there was the sound of something paper-like flying in the wind. I turned around and saw two small, rectangular shaped pieces of paper floating through the rain. They stopped in front of me and then buzzed around me and disappeared into the forest. I don’t know why, but I felt like following it. So I did. I trudged through the leaf litter and wet grass and tried to find the papers. I ran for a while, before I began to get tired. I stopped at the edge of a river and saw the two pieces of paper on the other side. I sighed and frowned. That sucked. How was I going to get across now? I looked into the fast moving water. I could swim. But I would probably just get swept away. I could jump. But I definitely wouldn’t make it. I tapped my foot impatiently.  The lust to see what was on the papers was irritating me. I wanted to see what they were! And then, without warning, there was a splash in front of me. I looked down and saw a girl. With seaweed like hair. I frowned. I’m sure I’ve seen her before. She reached her arm out to me and without thinking I reached out to grab it. But, she pulled away a grinned evilly. She looked up and sank below the surface. I looked across the river at the two pieces of paper. They turned around and I saw the pictures. A Grim Reaper and a pool of water…

My eyes flung open. I was lying in my room. Grey light shone through my curtains and into my room. I was sweaty. Sitting up I looked at the time. It was 7:13am. I sighed and got out of bed and slipped into a red t-shirt and black jeans. I quickly brushed my hair out and twisted it in a French braid. Trudging downstairs I had a quick breakfast and then wondered into the living room and browsed the bookshelf. I was about to grab a book out when I was suddenly swept off my feet and spun around. I almost screamed when I heard and gentle laugh. The person who spun me around put me down and turned me around. My fear instantly vanished when I saw Jack grinning happily at me. I smiled too and hugged him tightly.