Chapter Nine

Nine – Jack

I watched the place where Lucy had left. Pete was radiating anger. I could feel it.

                “What kind of stupid act was that?” He snapped at Angela. “I knew it. I knew you loved him.” He glared at me. “I told you to stay away from her. I told you!”

                “You didn’t tell me anything!” I cried.

                “We told you to stay away from us!” He shouted, speaking for my brothers and Boss. He stepped towards me and shoved me back. “I have to leave here now! Get lost you useless basted! You waste of space! Piss off!”

                He gripped my shirt and lifted me off the ground. I just went limp and stared at him with no facial expression. I heard Sniper behind me snarl deeply and step forward, but I held up my hand and he reluctantly lay down and watched.

                “The next time I see you,” He muttered. “I’ll kill you.”

                “Pete!” Angela cried, running to us. She gripped his arm. “Let him go!” 

                “Why should I?” he asked. “Why the fuck should I do that?”

                “Because…” she hesitated. “Jack didn’t come to me.” She met my gaze. She looked different. She was so much more venerable and much more…sweeter. “I went to him.”      

                Pete stared at her in shock. Slowly dropping me he turned to her. “What did you say?”

                Angela took a deep breath in. “I went to find Jack.”

                “And why did you do that?” he asked, his dark blue veins pulsing out of his neck.

                “Pete…” Angela began backing her away as Pete began walking towards her, threateningly. “I was just confused with who I loved…I-I didn’t…I didn’t kiss him, I swear! Pete. Pete!”

                “Shut up!” He screamed. “You are a liar. You lied to me! You said that your heart is mine! Mine! But you know what? You’re a whore. A mother fucking whore!”

                “Don’t you think I know that already?” Angela shouted, tears beginning to run down her face. “Don’t you think I know that I’m a fucking whore?”

                “No! I thought you loved me! But you love him!” He thrust his hand at, me. “The person I hate the most! You knew I hated him! You knew it! And you still went running to him.” He raised his hand and struck Angela across the mouth, causing her nose to bleed slightly.

                “Pete, that’s enough!” I shouted, stepping in.

                “You shut the fuck up!” He hissed. “You don’t tell me what the hell to do! Hey, you know what? You can have this bitch! Take her!” He shoved Angela towards me and I caught her in my arms as she stumbled towards me.

                I heard her sob as she buried her face in my chest. I wrapped my arms around her securely and held her close.                

                “Leave here, Pete.” I said softly.

                “Don’t mind if I do.” He muttered. “You’re a dead man, Jack. Once Boss finds out, you’re dead.”