"Shadow" Flash Fiction Challenge - RESULTS

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who joined FWFC's first ever contest! We enjoyed reading all your entries. Without further ado, here are the results from our Judge paolojcruz . :)

***

3rd place - Resserell

Entry:

"I know what you did and what you've done," she uttered, brusque and discord. Her voice was resonating in my ears and dominating my mind.

"Liar!" I snarled, fingers digging on my scalp and tugging bundles of hair strands.

"You know I'm not." Our eyes battled, transfixing irises to irises.

"Shut the hell up!" I screamed and pulled the knife from my pocket. I pierced it straight to her heart. She choked, wheezed and ran out of breath.

It was then I realized. I wasn't talking to anyone.

I was talking to my shadow.

To myself.

Judge's Comment:

Great example of setting a tense scene, and bringing it to a shocking conclusion. The piece earns its twist ending by raising the stakes.

It's also a very effective use of the 'shadow' prompt, putting the theme at the heart of the resolution.

***

***

2nd place - bentchbites

Entry:

How do you turn a good witch over to evil? How do you break her spirit enough for her to willingly submit herself to the shadows forever?

Easy.

Accept her when she tells you she could wield magic. Adore her when the flowers blossom at her command. Love her when the sun shines only for her favor.

And then forsake her, disown her, call her a monster, when she admits to be in a relationship with another woman.

Nothing is more heartbreaking than your intolerance. No curse is more binding than your bigotry.

Nothing will save you from her wrath.

Judge's Comment:

Loved the pacing of this one!

Even if it's almost completely exposition, the narrative has a conversational rhythm that suits the flash format.

Strong use of themes, building up to the brutal ending.

The only reason this one didn't get first place is because the conclusion opts to "tell" instead of "show."

I agree with the basic message: discrimination breeds hate, even in the most affectionate people. But I felt like the 'moral' was spelled out a little too explicitly for my liking.

***

***

WINNER - ellesanity

Entry:

"Mag-iingat ka, Jane. Alam mo namang may gumagalang serial killer dito sa siyudad," paalala nang roommate niyang si Lana.

Ngumiti lang siya bago lumakad.

Nagtungo siyang bar kung saan sila magkikita ni Dave. Nang lumalim ang gabi ay napagpasiyahan nilang umuwi na.

"Jane?" ani Dave nang tumigil sila sa gitna nang madilim na eskinita.

Marahan niyang hinalikan ang binata pababa sa leeg nito. Ilang sandali ay bigla itong napahiyaw sa sakit. Umagos ang masaganang dugo na siyang magiliw na sinipsip ng dalaga. Maya-maya, tuluyan na itong nalagutan ng hininga.

"Kamusta date?" itinanong ni Lana pagkauwi niya.

"Masaya. Nabusog ako."

Judge's comment:

This has everything I want from a flash piece: well-defined characters, a recognizable setting, a sense of danger and stuff happening. It's a full, compelling plot within the span of a few lines.

The twist may be a little predictable to more experienced urban fantasy fans. Even so, the taut, effective storytelling is enough to hold readers' attention and keep them feeling invested.

***

***

Congratulations to the Top 3! Admin ArchAngel_MikeKhael will get in touch with the winner ellesanity shortly to award her the prize. :)

To everyone who sent in their entries, you may view the score sheet at the Google docs link that will be posted in the comments section. Judge paolojcruz has prepared comments for every single participant and you may PM him if you want constructive criticism of your piece either via PM or as a public comment on your entry.

Lastly, we would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to paolojcruz for agreeing to judge our flash fiction contest. We present to him, too, this Certificate of Awesomeness because he is, well, awesome! ^^

Again, thanks to everyone who participated in the "Shadow" Flash Fiction Challenge! See you in the next FWFC contest! ;)