17. The Goblet Of Fire

Still fuming from Samantha--I refused to use any nickname for her--I hardly noticed when I walked straight into Gennie. I looked up and apologized. At once, I noticed that she had re-dyed her hair, the pinks and blues more prominent.

"So, I guess you met Sam." She said with an angelic smile.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "God, I almost bitch-slapped her down a size! Is this why you didn't want to come?"

Gennie nodded gravely. "Remember that I hurt my ankle when the camp went on fire? Well Cole was with me, and she showed up. She was a right 'ole bitch then, looking down on Cole, and being vile to me."

"What did she say?" I said sharply.

"She called me a ragged little horror," Gennie said through narrowed eyes. "And she looked at my hair dye like it was puke. I was hoping that she might be a bit nicer when she came here, but clearly not!"

"She thinks I have mental health issues, cause of the memory loss!" I burst out. "God, and the way she was walking over Cole! I know love is blind, but geez..."

"Tell me about it!" Gennie muttered. "What I want to know, is why Cole actually put up with her in Durmstrang... I would have bitch-slapped her down a few sizes by now."

"I know you would have," I laughed. "But Arthur told me that Cole didn't have many friends there, only Sam... Maybe he's learned to tolerate her."

"So, tell me in complete utter detail what happened." Gennie said, and the two of us started to walk around the castle idly.

Once I finished, Gennie shook her head furiously. "She should be the muggle representation of a witch, warts and all."

"One thing is for certain," I said, and we stopped outside a window over-looking the Black lake. Draco had vanished, but Cole and Sam were down there laughing together. "We need Cole to see how vile Sam is. Before it's too late."

* * * 

Gennie and I ranted about Samantha throughout the afternoon, and were joined by Draco, who fully agreed with us. He told me that he was forced to stay out of politeness for half an hour, and he was sure that the Cruciatus was an easier torture.

Gennie even laughed at that. I couldn't help smile. Even though it was brief, I liked to see Gennie and Draco get along. Even if it was bonding over hating somebody.

Now the Halloween feast had drawn in, and Gennie and I were sat with Alia--far away from Cole. I just couldn't deal with his excuses for Samantha right now. Because let's face it, he hadn't stood up for me then, he wouldn't now, would he?

"I wonder who it is," Alia said thoughtfully. "I can't wait to support whoever it is!"

"Maybe it's me!" I laughed.

"Sure it is," Gennie said, rolling her eyes. "I really want it to be Angelina! Or Diggory at a push!"

At long last, the golden plates returned to their original spotless state; there was a sharp upswing in the level of noise within the Hall, which died away almost instantly as Dumbledore got to his feet.

On either side of him, Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime looked as tense and expectant as anyone. Ludo Bagman was beaming and winking at various students. Mr. Crouch, however, looked quite uninterested, almost bored.

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" - he indicated the door behind the staff table - "where they will be receiving their first instructions."